Interview Steve Machol (vBulletin.com | Optiboard.com)

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
Kathy submitted a new Article:

Interview Steve Machol (vBulletin.com | Optiboard.com)

The Admin Zone recently asked the Customer Support Manager of vBulletin for an interview as he is well known for his swift knowledgeable help with the customers of vBulletin. In addition to being on staff with vBulletin, Steve Machol is the administrator of several online communities.

Thank you Steve for answering our questions. We appreciate the time you have given to us out of your busy schedule.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Well, to begin with I'm certainly one of the oldest members on vbulletin.com and the oldest person on the Jelsoft staff. I don't know why that matters but it does seem to intrigue a lot of people so I might as well mention that first. :)

I'm 51 years old, been married for 26 years to the same beautiful lady whom I first met when I was 13 years old. (She was the 'older woman' - all of 14.) Thanks to Marlena we have had 5 wonderful kids. Sadly my 'baby' girl Elizabeth died suddenly last September and I'm still having a very difficult time with her loss.

I have worked in the eyecare field for almost 30 years in various capacities as a Lab Technician and Manager in various Optical Laboratories, then as Technical Service Manager, R&D Lab Manager and Director of A/R Services (anti-reflective coatings) for one of the largest lens companies in the world. As Technical Service Manager I was responsible for putting together and managing the team that provided on-site and telephone support to our customers in North America. During my tenure we developed what was generally regarded as the finest Technical Support organization in the optical industry - something I still take a lot of pride in.

When did you first become interested in Forum Administration?

I can't say I ever wanted to be a 'Forum Admin' when I grew up. Heck, we didn't even have cell phones or calculators when I was a kid! (I wonder how many people reading this went through High School without using a calculator?)

I started my first online forum - OptiBoard - in 1995 using Matt Wright's WWWBoard script. In 2000 I upgraded to UBB5 which was a tremendous improvement. A year later I converted to vBulletin and have never looked back.

My goal for OptiBoard hasn't changed over the years. I wanted a place for eyecare professionals to discuss issues relating to their field and to build an online community where people can share knowledge and build relationships with others in their field. So as an Admin for...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasp

Recruit
This is amazing..

I will be unveiling My new website soon?