Interview: SmackLAN

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Morganna submitted a new Article:

Interview: SmackLAN

Anyone who uses vB or IPB as their forum software of choice will know the name smackLAN. He's been a part of the skinning side of forums for as long as I personally can remember and he's also one of the most approachable people I've ever had the pleasure to be in contact with.

He is the owner of Transverse Styles - one of the premier vB/IPB style sites.

So, would you tell us a little about the man behind the username, smackLAN?

Let's see, I'm 47 (for now), married to the only girl in the world who would have me (and took chocolate as a bribe), father to two amazing young ladies that are growing up entirely too quickly and some say I'm a closet geek but that's not true, I just play one on TV.

Where did you get the name smackLAN from?

Quite the story actually and I really don't know why Hollywood hasn't made a movie about it yet...dolts! Back during my online gaming days I needed a moniker and while I was experimenting with different ones I was also in the process on running a hardwired network in my house (before the days of wireless). I encountered a particularly stubborn wall and after losing my temper proceeded to show it who was boss...hence smack LAN was born (que the golf clap!).

How did you get into designing?

I've always been artistically inclined beginning with my days drawing elaborate murals on the walls of my home with crayons. Combining it with my geekness and love of wasting time seemed to be the logical next step :D

What is it like owning a site that only deals with styles?

Interesting at times. I never started out planning to have this become a business but when I realized there were people out there stupid enough to actually pay me for my work, I just had to oblige:D

Your focus is now with IPB styles. How do you find styling and coding for IPB?

I really like it...much more so than any other system I've ever coded for (IPB 3 that is). There are some quirks I haven't quite gotten over yet, but all in all I think it's the easiest system to code for and also has the greatest flexibility for creativity in design too.

Where does the future of vb4.0 lie for you with regards to your business? Can you see it becoming better for stylers?

Sadly it has devastated me...seriously. I cannot spend the time necessary to try and code for it in it's current state and still make a profit...I don't see how any...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Great interview guys! I do feel bad for that poor wall that SmackLan beat down.lol :timebomb:

MisterPersonality

Shut up and run!
Nice interview indeed. It's always good to see people who don't mind sharing their testimonies. :)

Cool man.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Nice insight into John. I've known John for a few years now online and is one of the few people that I trust without knowing in real life.

nexia

Aspirant
pfft... i was sure to be beaten in content by smackLAN, i'm waiting, wanting for more... rofl

good luck with the styling stuff, i'm bad at it so i'm happy to see someone who is better than me!

MjrNuT

Fan
Great interview. Thank for hitting him up for it and him reciprocating. :D

I now know the background on vbSkinworks.com. I had always thought....why does this look familiar? I'm a TS customer and couldn't be happier. :D

Really appreciated what you shared smackLAN. Btw, may I ask what games you did play...back in the day? ;) You already stated your age, so I think we are past that part already. :)

Abby-AdEx

Whoops, Lens is on.
Some great questions and thoughts there from SmackLAN who I have been secretly stalking for several years now :D :)p.. cover blown).

Interesting to read that last question however, That is not something that I would have ever expected from a such a successful person, however I do have an even larger respect for you (SmackLAN) knowing that you built yourself up from the ground up instead of starting out from a rich family.

Well I must go stalk him some more. :byebye:

Cheers,
Randy :p

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Randy said:
... I have been secretly stalking for several years now...
You've been stalking him for "years" but listed age is 18? Um.... :p

{Kevin locks his car windows & starts driving a little faster; gotta go!}

smacklan

Squirrel!!
KW802 said:
I've known John for a few years now online and is one of the few people that I trust without knowing in real life.
Likewise Kevin, I've always had the highest regard of you as well :byebye:

MjrNuT said:
Btw, may I ask what games you did play...back in the day?
I played mostly PC based FPS games like BF1942. Now I just get pwned when I try to play games like MW2 on the PS3...but I still enjoys me some cyber-killin from time to time :p

Randy said:
Well I must go stalk him some more. :p
Umm, I don't know if I should be flattered or creeped out ;)

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
smackLAN said:
Likewise Kevin, I've always had the highest regard of you as well :p

I played mostly PC based FPS games like BF1942. Now I just get pwned when I try to play games like MW2 on the PS3...but I still enjoys me some cyber-killin from time to time :p

Umm, I don't know if I should be flattered or creeped out ;)
I play MW2 on PS3 as well, I get pwned whenever I play it so I stick to my WoW until I get a co-op team going for MW2.