Interview - Rick Baker - UBB.Threads Developer

A

AWS

AWS submitted a new Article:

Interview - Rick Baker - UBB.Threads Developer

Rick Baker is the developer of wwwthreads now known as ubb.threads. He was kind enough to give a little insight to himself, wwwthreads and his future plans.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Well, let's see. I'm 35 years old and live in Washington with my wife and 3 kids, a 7 year old girl, a 5 year old boy and a 2 month old boy.
I've been in the programming field for about 9 years. Before that I worked for about 10 years in the timber industry which I was very, very happy to get out of with all my body parts still intact.

I know you're into body art. Can tell us how many tats you have and why you decided to get your first? Do you still have the body art site and if you do what is the URL?

I currently have 6. I say currently because they are quite addictive and the wife and I are planning on going in shortly for another ;) I got my first about 12 years ago. I had always wanted one and finally got the nerve to do it. It was a spur of the moment type thing and is my least favorite of all my tats. It's just a stock flash tat, the type you see on the wall when you go into a tattoo shop. All of my others are custom, one of a kind pieces, so I plan on getting my first redone at some point.

I ended up getting rid of the body art site. I started it because for as long as I've been coding threads I've never really ran a community site of my own besides the threads site. But, I just didn't have the free time to devote to it so it would thrive properly, so I shelved it. Maybe someday when there are more hours in the day I'll bring it back :)

Can you describe your typical work day?

I work 2 different jobs so I'm normally found in front of the computer for 12-15 hours of the day. My day job is working for a company called TechTell, where we specialize in network monitoring and the other is coding .threads. I work from home which is nice since my commute to work involves me walking downstairs to my desk with the only traffic I have to avoid is a kid or two.

When did you first start to program?

I actually started programming when I was in my early teens. I had an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard. It was programming in Basic, so it's not what you'd consider real programming, but it was a start. Spent some time in the 80s tinkering with the TRS-80. I got back into it around 10-11 years ago on a MUD, multi-user dungeon. Shortly after that I discovered Perl and the rest is history.

What was the...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Sandman

Administrator
Great Interview! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to bring this to TAZ. :D We appreciate it!