Interview Mike Sullivan (vBulletin Developer)

floris

Habitué
vB Floris submitted a new Article:

Interview Mike Sullivan (vBulletin Developer)

[Interview] Mike Sullivan (vBulletin Developer)

Interview with Mike Sullivan
vBulletin Developer @ http://www.vBulletin.com/
by Floris Fiedeldij Dop (info@vBulletin.nl) - 27 February 2004

Provided to The Admin Zone by Floris on an article swap.

There we go ... ten questions for one of the vBulletin software Developers Mike Sullivan

Q: Hi there Mike, welcome and thank you for taking some time in your busy schedule to participate in this vBulletin.nl interview. Could you please start off by telling us a little bit more about yourself?
--
My name's Mike Sullivan, obviously. My permanent home is in Allentown, Pennsylvania, although right now I live in State College, PA. As you might expect from that, I'm a Penn State student... well, at least I will be again soon. I'm currently on leave of absence for the spring semester and will be returning in the fall. I'm a junior in computer science and just recently turned 20 (well, about 2 months ago).

Aside from computers, I play roller hockey. Unfortunately, there isn't much of that here in State College, so I find myself wanting to drive back home for a weekend just to play some hockey. I'm addicted, I think. Other than that, programming really is my fix. I love learning things.I like to use the analogy of a puzzle; programs are essentially huge jigsaw puzzles. Have you ever tried to put together a 3000 piece puzzle? It's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Oh, and don't get me started on those 3D puzzles…
--

Q: How did you get involved with Jelsoft and for how long have you been part of the team?
--
Like many of the other "originals," I discovered vBulletin slightly before it came out, at the now extinct EzBoard. I had been hacking my UBB Freeware to bits and pieces, learning Perl along the way, when I stumbled upon the EzBoard and the beginnings of vBulletin. I didn't really understand the differences (DB vs flat-file), but it sounded interesting. I was able to become a beta tester for vB 1.1.0, tweaking the import script a little bit to get my UBB Freeware-formatted data into vB.

From there, I became active in vB's hacking community, releasing the original, basic private messaging hack (.9). I believe this was in May/June 2000. Shortly after, I followed it up with 1.2, which is fairly...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: