Interview: Matt Mecham

Shelley

Tazmanian
Shelley submitted a new Article:

Interview: Matt Mecham

Matt Mecham, the creator of Invision Power Board has kindly allocated some time to answer some questions from his busy schedule for us in this interview. With IPB 3.1 around the corner and vigorously being developed we look forward in knowing what Matt and the team brings for the future.

How and why did IPS come about?

Charles and I met on a previous project, Ikonboard, in 2001. We found that we had a good rapport and worked well together. An opportunity arose to start our own project which we took. We launched "Invision Power Services" in 2002 with our only product "IBForums" (later renamed Invision Power Board) and resold hosting. Since then we've released several major revisions, added several other applications to our portfolio and have our own data center and servers. It's quite amazing looking back at how far we've come.

IPS has a vast product line, and continues to expand it's line. Surely, it requires a lot of development time to keep up and maintain all of these products, something which IPS does very well. How do you do it?

It's very simple. We have a really good, solid and experienced development team. I've been writing production code for close to ten years. Brandon, Josh, Rikki and the other guys have similar experience. There's a lot of gifted PHP coders out there but not everyone can translate those skills into production code. It's a fine line between satisfying the "text book" geek in you and the realities of developing code that has to be deployable on many different systems (Windows, Linux, etc); that has to be efficient (shared servers, small memory footprint); that has to be stable and marketable. You do have to make a few concessions with text-book quality code to get the job done. That's the best skill a developer can have. I've seen many gifted programmers struggle to produce a finished product because they too much focus on writing beautiful impressive code.

How much of IPB have you actually coded as "lead developer"?

I want to firstly stress that IP.Board is very much a collaborative team effort. Each of the developers brings their own ideas and skills to the table. The recent notifications system, for example, was entirely Brandon's concept and implementation. He came up with the idea which was then refined via input from the rest of the development team and he then wrote the...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanCIT

Fan
Great interview, Matt always come across as a genuinely nice down-to-earth guy.

Looking forward to this secret product, no idea what it may be but I'm sure it'll be something useful judging by past products from IPS.

Thanks to Matt and the AdminExtra staff for the interview :p

cheat_master30

Nice interview. In particular, I found the last question pretty much hilarious, although it was completely unrelated to Invision Power Board.

CM404

Adherent
Excellent interview, as always. :p I, too, am looking forward to the upcoming 'secret' product.

cheat_master30

Personally, I'm hoping the secret project is an arcade or something myself, since everything else I'd want is already in IPB 3. Plus, it's easier to install and configure official add ons than fan made ones.

smacklan

Squirrel!!
Nice interview, thanks to ADX and Matt for taking the time. Matt is indeed a genuinely good guy and remarkable programmer...he and his team are definitely raising the bar for the forum software world. Should be fun to watch the others try and keep up :p

WinInizio

Enthusiast
smackLAN said:
Nice interview, thanks to ADX and Matt for taking the time. Matt is indeed a genuinely good guy and remarkable programmer...he and his team are definitely raising the bar for the forum software world. Should be fun to watch the others try and keep up :p
Perfect said. I couldn't' agree more! ;)

Great interview is always good catching up with these type of coders etc it gives them a human side of things rather than the guy who makes IPB :hug:

combus

Thanks for the interview! Most of the questions were not like the classic ones, so I enjoyed it pretty much :)

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
combus said:
Thanks for the interview! Most of the questions were not like the classic ones, so I enjoyed it pretty much :)
Yes, we do like to take slightly different approaches with our interviews :)

nexia

Aspirant
hum, looks like Matt will have a beat on my own interview... rofl

Hi Matt!
(even if you do not remember me at all.. rofl)

Soliloquy-AdEx

Ah, I didn't know he worked on Ikonboard. I'm pretty sure that was the very first forum software I ever installed myself. Ah, memories...