Interview: Lynne

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
Steve M submitted a new Article:

Interview: Lynne

Lynne is an accomplished vBulletin add-on developer who has released numerous add-ons including New Social Groups page layout, Widget - Users Online, and many more. You can find her working on her site: The Traders Den. She has only recently joined AdminExtra but the staff felt she would make an excellent first interview. Lynne is also a vBulletin.org moderator and she spends most of her time helping out those who need help with specific code. So without further ado I present to you the interview of Lynne.

For those who do not know you, could you provide a little information about yourself?

For starters, I'm female. For some reason, many users think I'm male. I have a husband and three kids - a step-daughter who is married with a step-daughter of her own (yes, I'm a grandma!) and two teenage boys. I also have two cats.... or they have me, not sure which it is. Professionally, I was a Mechanical Engineer at Lockheed Martin for fourteen years before taking a break. I then worked at a small startup doing some web design until the money guys pulled the plug. Now I spend my time playing on the forums, reading, cooking, and being a soccer mom, although I'm more of a marching band and badminton mom these days.

How long have you be a software coder?

Well, the first time I ever wrote a line of php or a mysql query was after buying vbulletin and that was the end of 2004. So, I've only been coding for a bit over five years now.

Are you proud of how you have developed your skills or is there aspects of how you obtained your skills that you wish you could change?

I learn by doing, so that's how I learned to code. I had a need to have certain things happen on my website, and there were no mods available to download to do what I wanted, so I had to do it myself. I'm glad I am able to teach myself something like programming; I don't think everyone could pick it up as easily as I did. I'm no coding guru, but I can do most things that I want to do. At times I wish I had some more formal training just because the coding may come a little easier to me if I did. Sometimes I feel like I am trial-and-erroring a piece of code to death!

How did you get started on being a software coder?

I got started when I bought my vB license. I did have a pascal class back when I was getting my BS degree, but, um... that was a long time ago! I learned by necessity since it was either learn to do it...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Great Interview. Thanks Lynne!! (and thanks Steve for organising it :) )

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
Your most welcome, I rather enjoyed this, was kinda nice to learn about someone who has given me so much help on vBulletin.org.

Lynne

Participant
I still find it weird to have anyone interview me.... I'm just a regular person and just don't think I'd be that interesting. But, the interview was fun to do. Glad you guys enjoy it.

Lynne, lots of people seem to be defecting from vb due to 4.

Do you have confidence that the software will right itself or do you see 4 as the deathknell of VB?

BrandonSheley

loving life
Lynne said:
I still find it weird to have anyone interview me.... I'm just a regular person and just don't think I'd be that interesting. But, the interview was fun to do. Glad you guys enjoy it.
I had the same feeling when I was asked for my first interview, you did a great job and it was an excellent read!

Lynne

Participant
AzH said:
Lynne, lots of people seem to be defecting from vb due to 4.

Do you have confidence that the software will right itself or do you see 4 as the deathknell of VB?
I am trying very hard to believe that they will get their act together and release a quality product, but sometimes it is very hard to keep the faith. I think it has great potential and I think it has some great developers on the team that really *want* to make the product great. I've seen them posting in threads trying to get ideas from the users to add into the software (take a look at all Edwin's posts regarding the CMS). The devs are trying hard. But, somewhere something is going wrong in the process and that really needs to be fixed. There are some bugs that keep reappearing every other release and that is just not acceptable.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Brandon Sheley said:
I had the same feeling when I was asked for my first interview, you did a great job and it was an excellent read!
Now that you mention it. . . :(

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
Brandon Sheley said:
Same here (even though I've only technically done one).

Funnily enough, it was Shawn (^ that guy up there) who did the interview. :)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Ryan Ashbrook said:
Same here (even though I've only technically done one).

Funnily enough, it was Shawn (^ that guy up there) who did the interview. :p
You made a great interviewee I might add :p

MjrNuT

Fan
Was catching up on the interviews around here and I really appreciated this one. On vb.org, I just saw that Lynne was a very helpful person. I applaud you for tenacity there as well as other places I've seen you. It's really quite welcoming to see what you've shared. Brings some tangible aspects to this online interaction thang, if you will.

Of course, I keyed in on this part, if you've seen what I posted on what I do:

Professionally, I was a Mechanical Engineer at Lockheed Martin for fourteen years before taking a break.
This makes all the more sense on you did your "leading" posts for people. It certainly worked for me on a few occasions. Furthermore, thanks for candidness regarding vb4. Since the presale event, which I'm not meaning to make a scene here about it, is that I would look seriously when vb5 comes, simple as that for me. Course, 3.8 in my eyes is perfectly a lasting product. :D

Lastly, I'm a Cali native myself. I used to be near a beach. :) Central coast, but now closer to the mountains, which has its merits.

Thanks for sharing and well done questions!