Interview: Jeff Lewis (Co-Founder SMF And Now Project Phoenix)

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
Steve M submitted a new Article:

Interview: Jeff Lewis (Co-Founder SMF And Now Project Phoenix)

Part 1 of 2: Past, Present, Future

1. Not many people know you as the developer of YaBB SE or SMF, can you provide a bit more information about your self personally?

I'm a 34 old programmer, have been working with PHP for approximately ten years now from in house applications to forums to customer relationship management software. Previous to PHP, I was heavily into Perl and Visual Basic abefore that for a job creating desktop applications.

2. A lot of people talk about inspiration as a reason behind why they start something. What is your reason or inspiration for beginning on a project title Yet Another Bulletin Board?

I was working with Perl in my day job and needed a forum for a site I was working on. I started to spend a lot of time over at YaBB answering questions, doing support and from there I just kept going. From doing support, to development, to project management. Going from YaBB Perl to a PHP version was seen as a challenge, a fun little project for Joseph and I so we got together one weekend and got it going.

3. Why did YaBB SE go to SMF?

YaBB SE was a PHP port straight from the Perl version with the exception of us adding MySQL support where the Perl version was purely flat file storage at the time. As we were working on YaBB SE in it's current state and working towards a version 2, a developer named [Unknown] was working on his own little code base he called his "Secret Project". After some discussion, we decided to use that as the new code base and scrapped the code for YaBB SE2 aong with the name as we decided to move forward with a new beginning.

4. When going from YaBB SE to SMF did you find any hindrances that slowed down the process?

The transition from YaBB SE to SMF was a very smooth one. We basically were just going with a new name and launched a new site look along with it. We had the same team and same users so it was pretty seamless.

5. I have read many threads and blogs on the downfall of SMF. Readers may think the same thing, can you provide a little information on the happenings with the SMF project?

I think SMF has lost it's way. Not everyone feels the same way mind you, but that is my personal opinion. It feels as though it went from a fun place to be where people could learn and contribute to one that seems to have a very tense environment. Naturally, I feel there is a lot more to it than that but for now I will leave it at that.

6. You made a website, SMF-Friends, could...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve M

Coder Formerly Known As..
Part 2 of 2 will be Joseph Fung, that one I am looking forward to myself. :banghead:

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
You rock myth. Also a big thank you to Jeff we really appreciate you taking the time.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Great interview - thanks to Jeff and Steve for doing it :banghead:

Wizzard

ADX Dungeon Master
Good interview, I'm looking at Project Phoenix with some interest :banghead: