Interesting Computer Thing

Amaury

Habitué
While it may sound like one, this isn't so much a support thread as just sharing since I don't think it's really a big issue. This has to do with my desktop.

Both today and yesterday when I booted my computer, it configured basically a new profile with nothing on it when logging into my account. However, restarting has fixed it both times. It goes straight from welcome to my account rather than configuring a new profile.

My mom thought it could have been the thunderstorm we had Sunday because it is electronics, and we had another thunderstorm yesterday, though not as bad. On Sunday I also uninstalled a lot of the apps that came with Windows 10 that I don't need, and I'm wondering if that could also be it, and I just need to change a setting somewhere so it goes straight to my account during boot-up. (I turn my computer off every night.)

I did see some errors in the error logs, but those aren't unique to today or yesterday and have appeared before today and yesterday, so they're not related. The only one that appeared for the first time when I looked yesterday was error ID 8003, but from research, it's also nothing to worry about and shouldn't even be classed as an error.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/baa91a92-ef6f-4e9b-a24b-0103cf714c1b?auth=1

This message seems harmless, I don't think you have to worry about having been hacked. It can appear even on a freshly installed operating system (including Windows 8.1) when other computers are on the local network.

One of the network functions in older Microsoft networks is called a "Master browser", and there is typically only one of them on a LAN. This message says that another computer is claiming the role of master browser, and that the computer you see the event message on is stopping its master browser service.

IMHO this event shouldn't be classified as an error. It looks like there is a typo in the event source name, the word "bower" should probably read "browser". In older versions of windows, the the event source name was "mrxsmb".

Other event IDs/error codes include 7001, 7031, 10010, 10016. The last one has to do with Microsoft Edge, which I use sometimes to test things, but it's not my primary browser—that's Chrome. The others, as mentioned, appear with semi-frequency, so none of the errors are related, it seems. I also have warnings like the HECI interface being reset, but those are also not unique to this and also appear frequently.

As long as I can use everything, I really don't care.

Amaury

Habitué
So it turns out I should have been looking at Applications in the Event Viewer as there are errors there for that: 1502, 1508, 1509, 1511 and 1515.

1502.PNG 1508.PNG 1509.PNG 1511.PNG 1515.PNG

From more searching, seems to the best fix is to simply create a new account and transfer files over. This also isn't exclusive to Windows 10, it looks like.

Amaury

Habitué
Ah, yes. When I thought about it harder yesterday, I remembered my mom dealt with this before last year on her old computer, which had Windows 7: https://theadminzone.com/threads/mom-cannot-log-in-on-her-computer.135362/ Some of you may remember. She fixed it by doing a system restore.

There she couldn't log on at all, though, so it looks like Microsoft improved things in either Windows 8 or Windows 10 so a backup of your actual profile is taken and you're taken to a temporary profile so you can at least still do things without having to go out of your way like my mom did. Then all you do is sign out or restart the system to get back on your profile. It's certainly possible that the thunderstorms we had for three days in a row last weekend, particularly the first one, caused minor damage with some system files or it's also possible that the apps I removed somehow caused a minor mess-up with some system files.

If it keeps happening, I'll likely do a system restore myself just so I don't have to keep dealing with it.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Fan
Interesting... I've been having issues with Windows 10 where the group policy manager won't start and that kills the ability to log in as anybody but an administrator... Also managed to get my Fallout 4 save overwritten due to this :(.