In your opinion, how active should administrators be in the public forums?

oceanflower

Aspirant
I disagree with you 100% Kentaurus.

I started my site on a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I take an extremely active role in both the ongoing discussions and in the administration of the site. My members know when I'm participating in a discussion, and when I'm administrating or moderating their discussion. My staff also does their thing, but ultimately, I'm creating a site that *I* want to hang out in. What good is it if I can't hang out in it?

Some may call me obsessive, but I at least skim over every single one of the 3,000 posts per day on my site. I consider it part of my job to know what's going on in every thread, in every forum, on the site.

I will always continue to take an active role in the discussions on the site. The day I stop is the day the site shuts down.

I've never understood administrators who only post administrative stuff. At that point, it's just a business, and the whole feel of the site changes.

I feel exactly as you do. I am not the owner of the site, but he has virtually left me in charge of running it...keeping it going. I came to the site to begin with in order to participate as a member, and I continue to do so now. I have good mods, the site is still small, but when it gets bigger I still plan to be a participating member as well as an administrator.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
I post everyday on my forum.
Not because I have to.
Because I love to.

:)

gogo

scotslass

just another haggis :)
i could never take a hands off approach to my forum, thats because i love it. It would be like me having a baby then leaving it to someone else to bring up! The only way i could is if my presence was somehow damaging it, then i would care enough to try to find a solution or back out. Its not that big now, but even if it had 10000 members i hope i will still be able to mingle with the members.

I would personally feel wary of a forum that i didnt know whom ran it and a little about them. I also know from the past before i was an admin it was lovely to have the forum owner actually post in one of your topics, it made the forum more personal which to me a community is about.

lockelymarkets

Enthusiast
I think taking a hands off approach is a copout. I hate admins who do that, it just shows that they expect everyone else to do the posting while they hide from the members incase they say something that would upset someone.

Like on SSC, I know it has 120,000 members and heaps of posts being made, but I am amazed that Jan manages to pop into most of the sections regularly, and that is much appreciated. I also note that most of the moderators too, don't post a lot in the forums, but thats ok, as long as they are around its pretty good.

If my forum ever becomes big, I like to think that I would continue to be active.

JoyMaker78

Participant
I like to be involved on my board. I think it helps to keep the members active too!

Custer

Neophyte
I participate a lot on my small board. I almost feel obligated to, as it's going through a downtime in the activity cycle and I'm one of the handful of everyday regulars. I hope that some day it'll grow large enough to where whole columns of threads could be had where I haven't even posted in them, on account that it's that busy.

mercy

Aspirant
I don't see it as the responsibility of admin to post as that is what we recruit staff for, to cover various aspects of the site BUT I do think it is important that admin involve them self in the community so that people can see where of heart of the leadership is at, the backbone I guess.

I also think it's important for admin to interact with members so that in the planning and development stages, where meetings are had and decisions are made, we have a fair idea of what it is the community wants and how we can makes the site most desirable and beneficial to the members of the community. In reality without the members, the site would not be there in the first place

rakovsky

Aspirant
IMO, the administrators should not always be the 'boss' in everything, but when necessary, they should show up and make their say. Anything that administrator says had an impact on how the user's impression on the community, so the administrator should be very careful in what he says.

My forum had been plagued by large number of hostile members b'cos they see the administrators not around to take care of the forums. Relying on the global moderators or moderators are not entirely effective.

My forum recently implemented an online exam system to filter out bad members. That crushes the bad members away, but we still have to spend a huge effort to try to restore the vibrant atmosphere there.

Ultimately, the administator would still need to be behind the scene to make an impact whenever it's necessary.
Dear General Zhaoyun,
Sorry to write to you on an old thread, but I am trying to get in touch with you and don't see a way to PM you. It's impressive that you were the Administrator for the Chinese History forum and also the Designer of the "Heroes of the Three Kingdoms" Mod for AOE. Do you think that I could get a copy of the Mod from you?
Thanks!

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Dear General Zhaoyun,
Sorry to write to you on an old thread, but I am trying to get in touch with you and don't see a way to PM you. It's impressive that you were the Administrator for the Chinese History forum and also the Designer of the "Heroes of the Three Kingdoms" Mod for AOE. Do you think that I could get a copy of the Mod from you?
Thanks!

Welcome to TAZ rakovsky.

You need 10 posts before you are able to pm other members and I'm afraid that member hasn't logged in here for well over 10 years so I doubt you'll get a response. You might have better luck using the contact form on their site: http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/contact-form/

rakovsky

Aspirant
Welcome to TAZ rakovsky.

You need 10 posts before you are able to pm other members and I'm afraid that member hasn't logged in here for well over 10 years so I doubt you'll get a response. You might have better luck using the contact form on their site: http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/contact-form/
Thanks for replying, TAZ!
A careful look at that website made it look to me like it passed into the otherworldly realm of fake sites. For example, one of its "recent posts" is
But "China" and "History" are not the kind of thing in its Categories list.

I look forward to writing with you on your very real forum otherwise, Zappa!

Regards.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Thanks for telling me, Zappa. I don't see an option on his profile to PM him, and I have 11 Posts.... I must be missing something.

The server needs a little time to run a background task in order to upgrade your permissions. You should be good to go now but let me know if there's still a problem.

southernlady

Devotee
I’m there every day. Usually will respond to one post or another. But I never answered every post cause I don’t have the needed experience to do so. Sometimes I will and tag another forum member who I know has such an experience.

But I do read each and every post. I have one in my “nothing is off limits” known as Rants and Raves which is off limit to newbies and spiders that I wish I could unsee. I need bleach for my eyes!

rakovsky

Aspirant
The server needs a little time to run a background task in order to upgrade your permissions. You should be good to go now but let me know if there's still a problem.
Great, it worked, thanks!

Some forums email participants a message notifying them when someone PMs them. I don't have his email address, so maybe this is an option.

Thanks again, Zappa!

salem

Adherent
Some forums email participants a message notifying them when someone PMs them. I don't have his email address, so maybe this is an option.
True most forums software do have that option but being an option users can also disable the feature/s