In Need of TAZ's Members Expertize: The XF Resource Manager + Wordpress Situation

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Hello guys, here we go again.

First my apology if I'm posting this on the wrong section. Since the subject is Forum Software and CMS question, i don't know where else to go.

A quickly context about my issue: I have a small news website and i usually post all my news daily content on this website. This daily posts is very "quick" and "objective", just a brief about the news and a link for the original content, like a curation service (Drudge Report, for example).

Some big and very important posts i do in the Forum for obvious reasons. I love how a Forum can hold so much information, discussions and how can be found easily if the sections (Nodes on XF) are in order.

So, for keep professionalizing my business I'm willing to buy the expensive XenForo Resource Manager for hold this kind of content in a more better way than normal threads.

Ok, period.

I've asked before around here if XF Resource Manager can fully replace my Wordpress website, and i think the answer that i got was: "no".

So, XF can't substitute XF for real? I will have to keep my Wordpress normally, even with XF's RM?

If yes, i got a solution from the guys on ThemeHouse. They have some kind of "bridge" to link XF and WP:

https://xenforo.com/community/resou...dge-for-bringing-wordpress-into-xenforo.6551/

For what i understood, is some kind of theme for Wordpress that's make a full integration with XenForo, please someone correct if I'm wrong.

Because if i have to keep my Wordpress site and I'm in the needing of a new theme, this Theme House solution can work, right?

So, that's my actual situation.

Any tips on how i proceed?

Thank you all very much.

sbjsbj

Fan
RM is useless. Don't waste your time on it.

WordPress performs better than any forum software. So suggesting to remove it is a bit hard. But of course having 2 platforms on a single domain can also a bit tricky, like user registrations etc.

So, yes, you can use the XF-WP bridge of TH. But be sure that it includes everything you need cause in TH's case you always get what you see and the price is not cheap. Don't expect any feature updates. So, depending on how your WP site is build, that would be the only option to go.

The other option is, just buy Bob's Articles/ShowCase addon. That should cover your news site.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
While I wouldn't say RM is useless - it works for what it was built to do. It doesn't sound like what you actually need. I second the suggestion that you look at Bob's Articles and Showcase Addons. Great developer.

Last edited:

sbjsbj

Fan
Fixed that for you.
Thanks. What would I do without you?

While I wouldn't say RM is useless - it works for what it was built to do. It doesn't sound like what you actually need. I second the suggestion that you look at Bob's Articles and Showcase Addons. Great developer.
With the RM it always "sounds like it doesn't do what you actually need". It is inflexible, has sparse options and you can use it exactly for 1 thing and that not in a good fashion either. Managing downloads with the RM is bad without filters. It is just like a forum node. The 1st page of a node gets seen, and when a topic moves to a 2nd page or to other pages, it gets buried. Gone, done. RM is build like that. RM is the same thing from what, 6 years ago? It didn't change a bit with here and there minor updates. But of course, it is my opinion. I haven't seen a single good use of the RM so far. Too inflexible.
Can maybe TAZ The Sandman show their page visits of RM compared to the forum?

Just to note, that AMS and Showcase are 2 different addons and have different use cases.
Yep, but both can be used for what he wants to achieve. It depends on his needs and setups, though the AMS seems to be the better pick.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Well, for what I see here I cannot abandon my Wordpress site for my daily news.

In the other hand, I’m still needing a good article management for my Forum because is better than threads.

I want a system for posts like: “Premium articles”, reviews, very big posts with a lot of information and this kind of stuff.

Right. Thanks. But, what’s the real purpose of the RM then? If the articles system in RM are bad?

Everybody talk about this Bob addon, is expensive like the official one. This guy is really good like everybody talks about?

Why this addon is better than the official solution?

Just to note, that AMS and Showcase are 2 different addons and have different use cases.

Care to elaborate, please?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. I have the autistic condition in some level so o try to plan my things very ahead with the most perfection level that I can achieve, because if I don’t, I get lost in my thoughts.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
But, what’s the real purpose of the RM then? If the articles system in RM are bad?
Resource manager is more a portal system for housing downloadable resources. It's not an article management system.
In fact - XFRM doesn't really have an articles system. For articles - try XenPorta. It's bad-ass and works as well as WP for Xenforo.

J.

Alpha1

Administrator
Do you submit your articles to google news and gain traffic from this? If yes, then stick with WordPress. XF has no solution for this.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Do you submit your articles to google news and gain traffic from this? If yes, then stick with WordPress. XF has no solution for this.

No, i don't. Google News don't accept my content because of my political view. I'm right wing oriented, so........ No Google News for me.

But the default search give me some traffic, so, yeah, i definitely need to stick with Wordpress for the daily posts.

Resource manager is more a portal system for housing downloadable resources. It's not an article management system.
In fact - XFRM doesn't really have an articles system. For articles - try XenPorta. It's bad-ass and works as well as WP for Xenforo.

J.

Oh, thanks for your suggestion, but i did see some people complaining about XenPorta in XF Community and is very expensive, plus 50 U$ for branding removal.

Seem's to me that Bob's solution for this is the key, is very well recommended around here.

dojo

Passionate admin
I see no reason not to keep both scripts. I am running my portfolio / marketing blog on wordpress and a forum in a subdirectory on xenforo. They work wonderfully together, even if the design is not 100% similar (since I'm too busy to actually make xenforo look exactly the same as the wordpress installation). Wordpress is superb in terms of content writing and seo, while xenforo works beautiful for the community. You can cross-link easily and get even more SEO juice this way

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Right. Thanks. But, what’s the real purpose of the RM then? If the articles system in RM are bad?

It's not an article system, it's a resource system - so more for downloads than articles.

Everybody talk about this Bob addon, is expensive like the official one. This guy is really good like everybody talks about?

Simply put, yes he really is that good. It's expensive, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" springs to mind. His support is second to none, he's actively updating all the time. You can't go wrong with anything from Bob.

Andro

Aspirant
You can't go wrong with anything from Bob.
This. And, if official AMS/CMS add-on ever comes from XF team, Bob's add-on will be first one for their importer like Media Gallery had a few importers. AMS is the most popular one out there currently with super active development. Infact XF should just take over it and modify its code just how they did for Chris' XenGallery.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Just a quick update:

Following the tips from this thread (and in others) i just bought the Bob's add-on for Articles Management.

I did contacted Bob yesterday and i got the best treatment possible. Bob was very professional, explained everything to me about his work and treated me like a real client with education, showing even the possibility to give me a admin login to test the product before buying.

I didn't even tested the product, he gained my trust just with this: education and professionalism. Two things that not very common on our line of work.

So, I'm going to install this add-on today and make a quick review about after.

I want to thank all people in this thread who helped me.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Just a quick update:

Following the tips from this thread (and in others) i just bought the Bob's add-on for Articles Management.

I did contacted Bob yesterday and i got the best treatment possible. Bob was very professional, explained everything to me about his work and treated me like a real client with education, showing even the possibility to give me a admin login to test the product before buying.

I didn't even tested the product, he gained my trust just with this: education and professionalism. Two things that not very common on our line of work.

So, I'm going to install this add-on today and make a quick review about after.

I want to thank all people in this thread who helped me.
Congratulations! Have fun with it. Bob really is a great guy. Can't sing his praises highly enough. :love:

sbjsbj

Fan
Nice, you cannot do much wrong with Bob's addons. He regularly updates his addons aswell, so not that you only get what you see, but you can expect enhancements to his addons. Worth every penny.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Hello guys!

Just a quick question, about Bob's Add-on or anything like:

I'm in the process now of configuring all the add-on scheme, like categories and stuff.

So, like the XF RM, Bob's Add-on can post a thread in some Forum when posting the article.

Should i use this feature? Posting the Article with a thread or just the Article is fine? And why?

Another thing:

The Bob's Add-on is so complete and deep that I'm willing not to use for daily basis news in my Forum, keeping this kind of posts in normal Threads and making Bob's Add-on just for articles content, like reviews and other stuff.

What are the general opinions on that?

Thank you guys very much again.

Drastic

Habitué
100% ditch WordPress.

It was the best decision I ever made.

Bob's AMS is probably my favorite XF mod as well.

If you can pay to customize it and port your WP over to AMS, then do it immediately.

Costs more in the end, but performs a LOT better and it's much better to have a single system than trying to link two systems together.