Improve your registration & posting rates - The Invision Version

CrustyGeek

GirlieGeek
CrustyGeek submitted a new Article:

Improve your registration & posting rates - The Invision Version

This is a version of the excellent Improve your registration & posting rates in 4 simple steps by Ted S for Invision Boards.

With the latest version of IPB, you can now use HTML logic to do most of the edits to get those guests registering and your members posting.

(All these edits are running on my board which is using IPB 2.03)

1. Turning Lurkers into Members
You can create a Welcome Message for guests on every section of your board by editing the Global Header

Go to AdminCP -> Skins and Templates ->Skin Manager and click on your skin.
Choose Edit Root Skin Template HTML, choose All Global HTML and then Global Board Header

At the very bottom of this template bit, add the following code (edited with your own message of course!).

PHP:
<!-- Guest Message -->
<if="ipb.member['id']">
<!-- Don't show guest bar -->
</if>
<else>
<br />
<div class="borderwrap">
<table class="row2">
<tr>
<td class='maintitle'>
{ipb.lang['guest_stuff']}</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
 Salroth is a site devoted to roleplaying. All genres, all types, in a world of our creation. We cater for all tastes, all ages and all experience in roleplaying and everyone is welcome to join and play our games. <br /><br />
Come and join us! We have games awaiting and stories to tell. As a registered member you will be able to play the many Roleplaying Games we have to offer, play over 100 games in the arcade , own your own virtual pet or battle armies. We offer good company and great conversation for roleplayers of all ages and abilities<br /><br />    </td>
  </tr>
<tr>
<td align="center"><b>
<a href="{ipb.script_url}act=Login&amp;CODE=00">{ipb.lang['log_in']}</a> | <a href="{ipb.script_url}act=Reg&amp;CODE=00">{ipb.lang['register']}</a></b>
</td>
</tr>
  <tr> 
    <td class="catend"><!-- no content --></td>
  </tr>
</table>
</div>
<br />
</else>
<!-- Guest Message -->

2. Getting Non-Posting Members to Post
On my site I created two member groups - Member and Full Member. Members are automatically promoted to Full Member when they have made 1 post. The ID for Member is 3 - yours may be different.

In the Global Header, just under the Guest Message you have created, add this - changing the ID to the appropriate Member Group ID

PHP:
<!-- New member Message -->
<if="ipb.member['mgroup'] == 3">
<br />
<div class="borderwrap">
<table...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

CrustyGeek

GirlieGeek
Thanks for your article! If it hadn't been for that, I wouldn't have tried to do it for Invision. I would never have thought of it on my own.

And thanks to your idea, my site is developing well with an increasing number of new members joining and posting.

:D

sithoverlord

Aspirant
i dont get it, things are coming up with html writing that should be hidden, stuff goes wrong, it dont register link work or log in, bad bad bad... mind u my board is on invisionfree, i want them hacks/mods.

CrustyGeek

GirlieGeek
sithoverlord said:
i dont get it, things are coming up with html writing that should be hidden, stuff goes wrong, it dont register link work or log in, bad bad bad... mind u my board is on invisionfree, i want them hacks/mods.

It will only work on 2.0 + IPB boards, I'm afraid. Invision Free boards are based on 1.3 which doesn't have the conditional IF coded into it.

Act Cease

hiphopscenes.com/forum
I tried to use this on my 1.3 board but it didn't work.

:(

any chance for a translation?

CrustyGeek

GirlieGeek
Because 1.3 doesn't allow conditional statements in the templates, it can't be easily translated.

Have a look at Invisionize - there might be a mod that could help you.

Sorry :(

Act Cease

hiphopscenes.com/forum
Ehh nevermind lol, just wait till I upgrade then I'll do it.

I am going to bug you so much when i upgrade lol

it must suck to know a lot about something a lot of people want to know

CrustyGeek

GirlieGeek
Hehehe
I don't know a lot, but I'm always happy to help where I can.

:D

Paul Bennett

Aspirant
This is wonderful. Thanks mate.

Is is possible to change it, so that instead of displaying for a certin group:

Code:
<if="ipb.member['mgroup'] == 3">

It will display for users with (or under) a certin number of posts? Or is the only way to do that set up user groups like you did?

arindra

discusstv.com
can i use the custom message for 2 or more groups instead of just one ?
thx for the info :)

Ted S

Tazmanian Master
Sure you can. This is hack is just something to get you started... where you take it is up to you.

John D

Adherent
Can anyone tell me the code for number 2 so it shows the message to members that have 0 posts instead of being in a certain member group?
That would work a lot easier than doing it with usergroups :)

Thanks for this!