Idle Chatter

Gemma

Participant
Some small updates to our badges system, arcade and forums index over the past few days.

Screenshot_2020-12-04 Games Room.png Screenshot_2020-12-04 Yacht Dice Game – Games Room.png Screenshot_2020-12-04 Idle Chatter - The General Discussion Forum.png

We've updated our badges layout both in the help pages and member profiles

Screenshot_2020-12-04 Badges.png Screenshot_2020-12-04 Gemma.png Screenshot_2020-12-04 Site Updates Announcements - .png Untitled.png

We also implemented some suggestions from our members which include a "mood" system, a donation system, the ability to ignore posts and forums and better privacy which I'm still working on and I'm trying to achieve this without making the site invite-only.

We're also on track to achieve on target of 8000 posts by the end of the year (6 months activity), we need about 600 posts in the next 4 weeks so I'd imagine hitting that number around Christmas week.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
You have a real good looking forum. Love the blue and the way it’s organised.

Gemma

Participant
So, in the last month, I've been making some little changes to our recipe section.

Screenshot_2020-12-13 Cheesy Pasta Bake.jpgScreenshot_2020-12-13 Dinner.jpgScreenshot_2020-12-13 Jess.png

Also, made some changes to our What's Going On? and Latest Posts widget on the forum index.

Screenshot_20210102-074848_Chrome.png Screenshot_20210102-074956_Chrome.png

Tidied up bits and pieces on both mobile devices and desktop

Screenshot_20210102-074822_Chrome.png Screenshot_20210102-074925_Chrome.png Screenshot_2021-01-05 Groups.png

Two of our "pickem" tournaments have just finished so some changes I made to the layout are now seen for the first time

Screenshot_2021-01-05 Hall of Fame.png

And I've started work on my new light theme, sneak peek at the first draft of nodes below, which is completely different from anything I've designed before. (this won't be the colour scheme)

Screenshot_2021-01-05 Idle Chatter - The General Discussion Forum.png

We also passed our 6-month target of 8,000 posts the week before Christmas. We'll see what 2021 brings but as we enter the second-half of our first-year in existence we are happy with our forum life so far!!

Gemma

Participant
Made some small updates this month:

Added some new blocks to profile pages to see who you're following, who is following you and who visited your profile - also added an online/ofline indicator to the profile page.

We've now got a dedicated forum for food, drink and recipe discussions instead of the general discussion forum.

My members like their privacy and security (the reason most of them shun social media), so I've added some measures like private threads, ignore/block members, ignore threads, forums and media and also a spaminator addon to catch spammers and prevent them from registering.

I'm going to start removing some addons that haven't really worked out as I had hoped - the first ones to be removed will be a topic filters addon and a matchmaking (video games) addon - they not been a success.

And finally, we've just passed 10,000 posts - delighted with the amount of activity we've managed to maintain since opening in June 2020 - all without any real promotion other than this thread here and the official xenForo support site. So thank you if you've joined and contributed to this milestone :)

Attachments

• privatethread.png
    privatethread.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
  • privatethreadlist.png
    privatethreadlist.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 9
  • privatethreadwidget.png
    privatethreadwidget.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2021-01-28 Cooking Bites.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-28 Cooking Bites.png
    732 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2021-02-12 Gemma.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-12 Gemma.png
    565.7 KB · Views: 5
  • stats.png
    stats.png
    81 KB · Views: 7

Gemma

Participant
Redesigned parts of my forum index, merged some blocks, tweaked some areas and added some new addons.

forumindex.png

Moved some blocks about on the forum index, added some quick buttons for posting articles, recipes, media, blogs etc. Highlighted the newest members to register on the forum and updated my stats block.

arcaderecipeblocks.png referrersblock.png

Merged together two referrers blocks to make one compact block and added a new recipe block to the bottom of the forum index - just to remind me to eat when I'm hungry :p

Bought a couple of new addons too - my members aren't big on social media and much prefer the privacy of our forum so I decided to bring something similar to Instagram Stories to my site so they could post little things about their day, mood etc. I think they are enjoying it so far....

stories.png stories1.png stories2.png stories3.png

Also added a chat addon (though this is mainly for another idea I'm working on) and I also added some little bits and bobs to the thread list including thread previews that show the first post, the first unread post, and the last post made in a thread

threadpreview.png previewexpanded.png

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
I just tried to log into to check out the stories add on, which sounds pretty awesome but it seems my account no longer exists?

Gemma

Participant
I just tried to log into to check out the stories add on, which sounds pretty awesome but it seems my account no longer exists?
Could be, we auto prune accounts if they haven't made any posts in a set time.