Idle Chatter

zappaDPJ

Administrator
You always put so much effort into your forums. They look great and they appear to get active quickly in a niche that most owners would consider totally unviable. I don't know how you manage it but I hope this one continues to do well for you.

Gemma

Participant
I don't know how you manage it but I hope this one continues to do well for you.
Thank you. I think it's partly down to knowing a lot of my members in real-life and we all share some common interests. We then get a decent level of content and engagement as opposed to sites that maybe pay for posts or post exchange that users don't have much interest or connection with or the content is similar on many sites.

I never pay much attention to the numbers or statistics it's more about creating something that people can connect with and enjoy.

How do you find the first post only plug in works for you? I’ve shied away this far.

haqzore

Devotee
How do you find the first post only plug in works for you? I’ve shied away this far.
I can see all posts? Unless I haven't hit a limit while clicking around to test.

To answer based on my opinion & experience:

If you want to drive empty sign-ups that likely won't participate anyways? Go for it.

If your site features & content are compelling enough to encourage signing up, people will sign up.

If it's not, they won't.

Forced registrations are archaic and drive empty accounts that never post at best, and turn away guests that would've read more if you let them at worst.

Keep it simple while thinking through these things: If you have to force a sign up, you have other problems.

My bad. I was on mobile and when I clicked the thread link on the home screen it went to the last post with the join up box below rather than to the top of the thread. I had to scroll up to see it. Oops!

Gemma

Participant
Been running XF 2.2 beta for a little over a week now, a couple of addons "broke" my site, some others I removed because they are now core features and some work without breaking anything but aren't quite 100% functional.

I've also revised some areas of the site with the upgrade, member profiles, member tooltips and the threadlist all needed some attention and I've made some slight changes to featured threads and messages

Profiles and member tooltips
profile-banner.png profile-nobanner.png tooltip-banner.png tooltip-default banner.png

Threadlist and messages

threadlist.png Screenshot_2020-08-03 Useful Websites Technology - .png

Featured threads

featured.png

PWA (Desktop version)

pwa.png

Forum Index

Screenshot_2020-08-05 Idle Chatter - The General Discussion Forum.png

Last edited:

Faust

Enthusiast
Looks great Gemma , I tried to set up Reputation progress banner too, sadly isn't working on UIX Themes.

Gemma

Participant
Build a new website, they said. So we did. Make it pretty, they said. So I think we did.

Make it unique, they said. So I'm pretty sure we did that too.

ArcadeContests.png ArcadeIndex.png ArcadePlay.png ForumWidget.png

After updating to Xf 2.2 we've also made some cosmetic changes around the site to accommodate new features and to keep things unique

newtoys.png Screenshot_2020-08-19 Coronavirus (COVID-19) General Chat - .png

We've passed 3300 posts in 3 months which is a pretty decent return :)

Faust

Enthusiast
Looks great Gemma. Can I ask how you managed to achieve user side statistics? Is there an addon for that?

Gemma

Participant
Looks great Gemma. Can I ask how you managed to achieve user side statistics? Is there an addon for that?
No addon, I've just taken parts out of the account_visitor_menu, for example
Code:
<dl class="pairs pairs--justified fauxBlockLink">
                        <dt>{{ phrase('messages') }}</dt>
                        <dd>
                            <a href="{{ link('search/member', null, {'user_id': $xf.visitor.user_id}) }}" class="fauxBlockLink-linkRow u-concealed">
                                {$xf.visitor.message_count|number}
                            </a>
                        </dd>
                    </dl>
Then taken (similar) code from addons I've got installed and added a little styling.

Not sure if it works or not, it made more sense at the time to have user stats (posts, reactions, trophy points etc) display somewhere visible instead of hidden in a dropdown menu or profile page but I'm not too sure tbh.

Faust

Enthusiast
No addon, I've just taken parts out of the account_visitor_menu, for example
Code:
<dl class="pairs pairs--justified fauxBlockLink">
                        <dt>{{ phrase('messages') }}</dt>
                        <dd>
                            <a href="{{ link('search/member', null, {'user_id': $xf.visitor.user_id}) }}" class="fauxBlockLink-linkRow u-concealed">
                                {$xf.visitor.message_count|number}
                            </a>
                        </dd>
                    </dl>
Then taken (similar) code from addons I've got installed and added a little styling.

Not sure if it works or not, it made more sense at the time to have user stats (posts, reactions, trophy points etc) display somewhere visible instead of hidden in a dropdown menu or profile page but I'm not too sure tbh.
Thanks, probably I will leave it how it is. Don't want to make things complicated.

Gemma

Participant
Some small updates today; mostly little design issues that were bugging me and needed some TLC

Our featured threads, articles and recipe book section all now follow the same tiled layout design - articles and recipes inherit this design in member profile pages too

articles.png featured.png recipes.png profile.png

Continuing to work on our arcade section - this has proven popular as a timewaster for some of my members when commuting to and from work

arcade.png

I've tidied up our forum view layout to accommodate the new thread types in XF 2.2

forumview.png

And we've now implemented XF 2.2 thread voting system into parts of our recipe book.

recipee.png

Gemma

Participant
The item Idle Chatter has been updated:

Updated gallery with some screens of our "light" coloured theme.