I want to create a new community on vB 3.8.x

Dakoom

Web City
vB 3.8.9... the latest stable version that works on PHP 5.5+. But my question is this: is this suggested? I mean, for how much time will it run smoothly with no problems? I have to consider this factor before I spend my energy on template customizations, plugins, themes, etc. What are your suggestions? Note: I really love the style of vB 3.8.9 and how it works.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Technically vB3 and vB4 are EOL. It is only possible that they are still running on newer versions of PHP thanks to Paul M.

So it is up to you if you want to start on something that may or may not work in the foreseeable future.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
We have no clue vBulletin is going to continue updating the 3.8.x branch or that it will run smooth when a new version of php or mysql comes.

Dakoom

Web City
Then my question would be: how much frequently is PHP or MySQL upgraded? LOL

rudedog

Jim
What about all the sites IB runs on the 3.x branch? I would assume as long as they keep those around vB has to update the 3.x branch to support the latest and secure PHP.

Dakoom

Web City
Mhhh, this should be a good thing.
The only ****ty thing is that if you were an owner of an old license now you are forced to buy the vB 5, even if you want to go only from 3.8.0 to 3.8.9.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
vB 3.8.9... the latest stable version that works on PHP 5.5+. But my question is this: is this suggested? I mean, for how much time will it run smoothly with no problems? I have to consider this factor before I spend my energy on template customizations, plugins, themes, etc. What are your suggestions? Note: I really love the style of vB 3.8.9 and how it works.
There's big busy boards out there using vB 3 and even one still using vB2. Yes, vB2. PHP compliance isn't any big mystery or unattainable hurdle.

Here's a list I compiled back in jan. 2014. At the time these were the 10 busiest boards that use vBulletin.

forums.offtopic.com - v3.8.7
forums.somethingawful.com - v 2.2.9! Yes, version 2.2.9.
forocoches.com/foro/ - v3.8.7
pbnation.com/forum.php - v3.8.7
forum.bodybuilding.com - v4.1.1 (And they still, rue the day they ever 'upgraded' from version 3. Ask them.)
fanforum.com - 3.8.7
skyscrapercity.com - 3.8.8 beta1
forumserver.twoplustwo.com - v3.8.7
neogaf.com/forum - v3.8.7
boxingscene.com/forums - v3.8.2 (They DID 'upgrade' to v4 but hated it SO much, they did the massive work necessary to revert back!)

I have a 3.8.7 and even a 3.5.4 still going myself, no problems at all.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
vb3's not an ideal starting point for a new site. You'll want the latest vb4 branch release.

Dakoom

Web City
I have a 3.8.7 and even a 3.5.4 still going myself, no problems at all.

Yes, but are you on PHP 4 or on PHP 5?
I mean, I had 3.8.0 installed in locale with MAMP (which have PHP 5.6.+) and there was problems (like the preview and the edit functions were not working). Now I upgraded my local board to 3.8.9 and everything works like a charm.

vb3's not an ideal starting point for a new site. You'll want the latest vb4 branch release.

Unfortunately I really hate the new design of the whole vB 4/ vB 5 series.

Hauyser

illiterate.
I thought about this myself for the past couple of months. I eventually installed vB and skinned it, added the forums and all was good to go!

Then I realised how it lacked compared to other forums, I installed XenForo and imported the stuff

Dakoom

Web City
I don't like the XenForo style and theming. I would need to learn to customize it in order to create a new style the way I want it, so I prefer to pass for now. I'll wait using vB 3.8.9. XenForo would be probably the next/best choice after it.

What are the points that make you take that decision, if I can ask?

AdamD

Devotee
Could always give Burning board a try, or Invision power board.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome

I suggest asking on the vBulletin.com Pre-Sales forum directly and ask if they are planning to update the software for PHP 7. If they are that will keep it running for years to come. Even as is you probably got at least 2 good years. I am a support rep for vBulletin and I can tell you I have seen some discussion about a possible new version, 3.8.10 in the works, but truthfully I am not sure exactly what is in it and if it is definitely being released or just a placeholder in case they get the go ahead to do it. You would be better served asking directly.

Anonymous

Habitué
I strongly disagree, VB3 is still the best VB ever made, and its nicer than both VB4 and VB5.
It may have been the "best ever made", but that doesn't mean it's up to par for todays technological requirements for TCP/IP stack, etc.

Paul M

Super Moderator
vB 3.8.9... the latest stable version that works on PHP 5.5+. But my question is this: is this suggested? I mean, for how much time will it run smoothly with no problems?
As far as php 5.5 & 5.6 are concerned, it should continue to run happily, php 7 is likely to introduce new issues.

We have no clue vBulletin is going to continue updating the 3.8.x branch or that it will run smooth when a new version of php or mysql comes.
I dont think there are likely to be mysql changes that would break anything, it doesnt really do anything fancy in sql. For php, see above.

Unfortunately I really hate the new design of the whole vB 4/ vB 5 series.
Thats a bit of an odd thing.
I dont really think vB4's design is that much different to vB3.
vB5 on the otherhand is totally different, I can understand people not liking it.

Dakoom

Web City
As far as php 5.5 & 5.6 are concerned, it should continue to run happily, php 7 is likely to introduce new issues.
Please make some pression over at vB.com in order to let them prepare for updating the code when PHP 7 will be out! :tup:
What about if a new bug or security issue is found whitin vB 3.x at this time?

Thats a bit of an odd thing.
I dont really think vB4's design is that much different to vB3.
vB5 on the otherhand is totally different, I can understand people not liking it.

Yeash, I didn't specified very well. I can accept the vB 4 style. I can't accept the vB 5 style. Watching at that style I completely miss the perfectionism of Kier and co. from the old days. I'm not either a big fan of the actual XenForo style, if I have to be true. :angrybird10

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Please make some pression over at vB.com in order to let them prepare for updating the code when PHP 7 will be out! :tup:
What about if a new bug or security issue is found whitin vB 3.x at this time?

The only person updating v3 and v4 is Paul, so only pressure is on him. ;)

Spinball

Aspirin
Xenforo 2, which is expected in 2016, will almost certainly have a fairly significantly updated style. The thing about Xenforo is, though, that the very active community has already released a plethora of styles and there is even one which mimics vb.
I imagine a lot of sites running vb haven't migrated away because the amount of customisation they have accumulated over the years makes it expensive. It was for us.
I think pre-vb5 owners should look at the kinds of UI features found on modern sites including Twitter and Facebook and consider whether their, now ancient design is going to live up to the expectations of visitors. Do people demand a more slick, modern UI with lots of useful Ajax features?
The end of life status of vb3 and vb4 means that in my opinion the likes of Xenforo, IPB and WBB should be at the top of the list of forum platforms to consider and vb way down at or near the bottom.