I tested discourse

fbmac

Aspirant
In a first look, it looked very good, and has a lot of interesting features I didn't found in anything else, but then I found some serious problems with it.

It's performance on mobile is terrible, and the battery is spend very fast. There is a thread in their support forum complaining about how bad Android works with ember, their choice of Javascript.

The hosting is expensive, taking at least 1GB of RAM for an empty forum. But it also doesn't scale well, as I observed in a very active Discourse forum I frequent. They have an ocean droplet with 4GB of memory, and around 600 regular users, and the server is frequently overloaded.

Then there was that drama of Discourse's support forum banning the entire community I frequent, that is also one of the most active Discourse forums (but also not a very civilized one, according to most of it's users).

Jake

Developer
Discourse is free and open source, their hosting is, of course, extremely overpriced. But as long as you figure out how to install it you can host it yourself on anything that supports Docker and Rails :) -- Probably only a VPS

tomk

Adherent
Then there was that drama of Discourse's support forum banning the entire community I frequent, that is also one of the most active Discourse forums (but also not a very civilized one, according to most of it's users).
Which community is this?

fbmac

Aspirant
Yes, but I wasn't talking about their offered hosting, it will be always expensive to host because of the huge hardware requirements, as compared to a php based software.

A

AWS

Looks like they are getting ready to move to something else again.