I Need a Tool for Sharing Sites, Articles, Videos, etc. **to** WordPress (not from)

John H20

Aspirant
Hi,

You would think this would be the ultimate no-brainer, as big as a city. You would think people want this more than almost any other tool, and that there would be many to choose from.

There are share links for sharing to just about everything else - FB, Twitter, you name it. There is even a share link for sharing to WordPress.com hosted sites. But there is virtually no share link or tool for sharing to self hosted WordPress vs. from when you are on a website or watching a video that you want to share and post to WP.

There used to be "Press This." I had tried it years ago, but it was not that great anyway. But it is defunct, no longer supported. I thought there was none left, but I just found "Nominate This."

"Nominate This" is almost there, but it still requires a lot more time and effort to do what I want to do. If you use "Nominate This" it shares the entire contents of an article, for instance, rather than an excerpt with a link. And there is no link to the source added. So in other words, you have to spend all kinds of time editing and adding a link. You also have to do editing that way if you use the tool to post a video hosted elsewhere.

So while "Nominate This" is certainly better than nothing, it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that works more like sharing to FB, Twitter, etc. I have searched and searched and searched but so far "Nominate This" is the only best item I have found. I can share 50 to 100 articles, websites and videos to FB in a week for instance - even much more, and I want to be able to do that just as or at least almost as quickly and easily in the form of blog posts to a self hosted WP site.

Also, given the very nature of WP to begin with as a premier blogging and publishing platform, does it even make any sense at all that we are not swimming in a multitude of options for a tool like this?

And what about Invision and XF - do they have much better options for what I want to do if there are none for WP, especially Invision?

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
People have mentioned this a couple of times over the years on XF.com, but nothing has ever come of it as far as I'm aware as it would require publishers to widely adopt and embed a share code or for users to install and use dedicate extension, such as the case was with press this.

Now with the growth in mobile, many users have shifted their sharing habits to the share sheet on their phone to share in app via Fbook, Messenger, What'sApp, Discord etc.

ie. Platforms that have native apps.

You could try installing the wordpress app and linking it to your site and see if that works.

John H20

Aspirant
People have mentioned this a couple of times over the years on XF.com, but nothing has ever come of it as far as I'm aware as it would require publishers to widely adopt and embed a share code or for users to install and use dedicate extension, such as the case was with press this.

Now with the growth in mobile, many users have shifted their sharing habits to the share sheet on their phone to share in app via Fbook, Messenger, What'sApp, Discord etc.

ie. Platforms that have native apps.

You could try installing the wordpress app and linking it to your site and see if that works.
I don't use a phone to access the Web. I only use a computer. I don't suppose there is a desktop "app" to try? The only actual share link I've seen for sharing to WP is for when you are hosted at wordpress.com, not self hosted.

I'm actually one of the people who mentioned it at the XF forum a long time ago now, and it went nowhere. Honestly, people who don't want what I'm talking about must be living in The Twilight Zone. The memory of how badly it went when I brought it up there is what made me just say that.

If you are a publisher of either a blog or a forum, how on earth is it not desirable and does it not make sense to want a tool that enables the kind of rapid easy sharing that is done for other destinations? Did I die already and people not wanting that is just an illusion? Isn't a company like Facebook laughing and saying "Idiots - they don't even want that for themselves, and that's why we are killing forums and eating their lunch"?

I don't mind one bit having a bookmark icon containing code which can do that. The only issue is how well it does it. "Nominate This" still leaves you with too much editing to do because I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to just copy and publish entire articles, and you want source links included just like they are when you share things to FB and Twitter.

Last edited:

John H20

Aspirant
Can you clarify your request?

In InvisionCommunity, there is a 'sharelink' for every content item (every post, topic, image, album, file, blog, etc.)

View attachment 54434

If you switch to Pages to power your content management system / article management system, then you would be wholly contained within the IPS ecosystem and you can then use rich embeds.

Company Blog: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/new-richer-embeds-r1025/
The rich embeds looks very nice but is definitely not what I'm trying to achieve now.

If IPS can do what I want then I'll go with IPS. Right now I'm trying to start with WP, but so far not happy. I'd like to avoid XF altogether, but I'll also use that if it will do the trick. So to clarify:

I want something that works better than Press This used to work, and better than Nominate This works now. It seems that normally means a dedicated bookmark icon with code in it, but maybe it could take another form, such as a right click.

I want to be able to do with WP what I do now with FB and other social media, which is: surf the Web finding all kinds of articles and videos that I share to Facebook and Twitter (mostly to FB). But I want to be able to do that and share to WP, to my self hosted site. That normally means copying and pasting a url or clicking a share link. For what I want to do, the only partial option I know of now is having a "bookmarklet" actually in my browser and using Nominate This.

So the first thing I want to do is share from the Web to self hosted WP (or if necessary, IPS or XF). To me it's a given that they all then have links to share from WP (or IPS or XF) to social media.

I want to make the tasks of publishing a blog as simple and streamlined as possible so that I can do the sharing with as much ease and frequency as I now do when sharing to FB. Or if necessary, it can use a "pages" module, or forum module, since I do want commenting ability. The first priority is just simplifying the ability to share in a way similar to sharing things to FB.

So right now, with WP I'm only finding "Nominate This," and it still leaves you with a lot of time and effort you have to spend making edits and adding a link. Just like with sharing to FB, you only want at most an excerpt of the text of an article to appear along with an image and a link, or with videos you want it to work as it does when sharing from YT to FB. But if IPS has a better option I'm all ears. For instance, if you use the "blogs" module with IPS, is it any easier and quicker to share content and videos from the web in a blog post which does not require further editing than it is when using Nominate This with WP? If it is, then that may have the answer. The bottom line is that I just want to be able to share and post to my own blog (or if necessary, my own "page" or "forum") where people can then comment the same way I already can and do to Facebook.

Hmm, seem to have gotten a bit repetitive here, sorry.

Last edited:

John H20

Aspirant
But wait - there's more!

Why on earth hasn't anyone just reverse engineered the script or written some alternate script to share things in the same way FB's share feature works? For instance, the FB share links are nice, but they are not needed. Here is how you share without a share link:

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...icles-videos-etc-to-wordpress-not-from.153219

Sharing a YouTube video:

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vrPaE5Y1o

I had to edit that second one multiple times to get it to stop changing the text and showing the video, so that actually indicates possible progress towards what I want really. For instance, if I can just copy and paste a url and have a video appear instantly in a forum post, then can you do the same with an article link and have an image and excerpt with a link to the source appear automatically too? That might be good enough.

So obviously - all the "magic" is written in a script file called "sharer.php." Why hasn't anyone just written a script to do what that one does? You could even make use of all the FB-specific meta tags already appearing in site pages, since it's just public HTML and there's no reason why another party can't refer to them for their own purposes.

But instead of sharing to FB, your new script enables you to share to self hosted WP or some other location.

So then with WP, you would have something like a plugin that works with a browser bookmarklet with something like https://MyExampleBlogSite.com/share.php?u=https://ExampleArticlePageorVideoIWanttoShare.com contained in the bookmarklet, where the share source url is captured automatically, and which also enables you to add some of your own commenting right above it before it's shared.

Last edited:

John H20

Aspirant
So that's it, ay?

Why do I not get email alerts for new replies here, and why do I not find any feature to subscribe to threads at this forum for that including my own?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Why do I not get email alerts for new replies here, and why do I not find any feature to subscribe to threads at this forum for that including my own?
Clicking 'Watch' at the top of any thread should give you the option to subscribe with or without emails. If it's not working for you leave a post and we'll look into it.

John H20

Aspirant
Clicking 'Watch' at the top of any thread should give you the option to subscribe with or without emails. If it's not working for you leave a post and we'll look into it.
Thanks I'll look at that, I also just got an email for this, lol.

John H20

Aspirant
If you want automation for this I think Zapier and IFTTT can also help.
Thanks for these interesting suggestions. Did not see an email for your reply otherwise would have come back sooner.

I was checking them out for WP integration. Interesting, but so far was unable to find what I'm really trying to do. I would have been happy enough posting to FB first, and then using Zapier's feature to auto post from an FB page to WP, but when I ran a test it didn't work out well for me at all.

PS: Please see this thread too. It's indirectly related because if I can find that software then I may just move on since so far I cannot really find what I'm looking for with WP. Thanks: https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/can-you-help-me-find-what-software-this-site-is-using.153238/.

Last edited: