I miss vBulletin's Reputation system

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Its a private very extensive addon that I had built and keep extending. Advanced Reputation & Post Review System. I share my addons with a very limited group of admins because I am not in the business of making money from addon sales, support and overly demanding customers that come with that. I don't have the time to offer the support for such. I share my addons with a few skilled admins whom I know need very little support. This allows me to recoup some of the development costs.

I do intent to have my addons ported to XF2.2. I have some nice idea's for the reputation addon.
Dying of jealousy :ROFLMAO:

Karll

Adherent
I'm a skilled admin who needs very little support! Just saying :)

I've only every used the VB reputation system on one forum (VB3) where I was just a regular member. It was great, but that crowd consisted mostly of older, mostly thick-skinned (or sometimes just thick ...) males.

I'm unsure if the members of my own forum would fare well with a reputation system.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Yes. The reputation system is just one of the things I miss about VB.

The current system is okay, but receiving a "like" often feels more like "I might agree, but couldn't be arsed to add to the discussion, so I'll click this button instead." The old reputation or karma system was separated from the actual discussion. I've given reputation points to people I didn't agree with, but appreciated how they argued their side of the discussion. We don't have an icon for that now.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Yes. The reputation system is just one of the things I miss about VB.

The current system is okay, but receiving a "like" often feels more like "I might agree, but couldn't be arsed to add to the discussion, so I'll click this button instead." The old reputation or karma system was separated from the actual discussion. I've given reputation points to people I didn't agree with, but appreciated how they argued their side of the discussion. We don't have an icon for that now.
I kinda didn't want to hit like but I don't have reputation points to dish out so had to use that instead.

I think you've hit what I really liked about it - the way it was completely separate from the discussions. I like that it was mostly between you and the person you were sending it to (I can't recall for sure whether other people could view the rep messages you'd received. I know we had the little dots showing the amount of rep we had in the postbit). And, like you, I would give out rep to people who I didn't agree with but thought they made a good argument for their stance.

zappaDPJ

And, like you, I would give out rep to people who I didn't agree with but thought they made a good argument for their stance.

Ditto. I think it's an excellent way of promoting further dialogue. I often don't agree with a member's view but I really appreciate that they've taken the time and effort to express it to the best of their ability.

R0binHood

Habitué
I still miss the "drama queen" rating :cry:

I liked that one too.

Maybe we'll get it back with an XF2 upgrade now that they're all hidden in a popup instead of always on show as per the current system. Means you can have a lot more even if some aren't used that frequently.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Ditto. I think it's an excellent way of promoting further dialogue. I often don't agree with a member's view but I really appreciate that they've taken the time and effort to express it to the best of their ability.
Being able to put a note in the rep saying so also stopped it turning into a "yeah but hear me out" back and forth in the thread itself. Always a bonus.

Last edited:

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
agreed, sometimes just a "great job" or something can actually mean a lot and really appreciated.

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
I know everyone is all in love with reactions and likes and what-have-you, but d'you know what.. I really miss the personal touch of sending someone reputation points with a little personal message.

Tell me I'm not alone in that. Someone out there must miss it with me :(
Whats the use ??
Forum Scripts are dead by there own GODs.. (developer mess, happening since last 23+ YEARS)

g00GLE Panda still active on same !!!! where few made fortune.
lol.. and rest died.

Do not let the penguin hit,
By unnecessarily begging for help on every low leveled site in terms of google !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Whats the use ??
What's the use of what?

g00GLE Panda still active on same !!!! where few made fortune.
lol.. and rest died.

Do not let the penguin hit,
By unnecessarily begging for help on every low leveled site in terms of google !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

phatcows

Adherent
I actually have no idea what you're talking about.
Forum scripts are another term for forum software. Not sure what the GOD acronym is (Galactic Obliteration Device?)

Google Panda and Google Penguin were the code names for their algorithm updates in search queries and how the results were ranked.

I'm not sure how that ties into the current conversation about the reputation system (which I also miss) from vBulletin...

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Forum scripts are another term for forum software. Not sure what the GOD acronym is (Galactic Obliteration Device?)

Google Panda and Google Penguin were the code names for their algorithm updates in search queries and how the results were ranked.

I'm not sure how that ties into the current conversation about the reputation system (which I also miss) from vBulletin...
Hehehe, yeah I understand the terms - Forum Script, Google Panda and Google Penguin - it was all the words surrounding them that confused the issue :ROFLMAO:

HallofFamer

Habitué
Theres definitely similar mods for Xenforo forums, but Xenforo mods aint like vb.org mods, they may be paid.