I have to admit

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Working with WBB (so far) has been a LOT more fun than IPS was (as far as styling goes). There is still a lot to learn for me as it's different than anything else I've used before.

First successful tweak (no add-on required)

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 12.09.15 AM.png

I'm still working with the CSS designators to get it to where I need it (and to make sure it highlights the unread ones also). These are font icons from a custom font pack I generated.

Goodfella

Adherent
I have been keeping my eye on WBB for some time now. It has really grown on me. May have to pick up a license just to play with it.

Thanks for sharing TP!

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
Wbb is a lot of fun to work with, if I'd have had the funds for another project I'd have kept my licence.

Russ

Administrator
When we initially looked at the styling system it was really... different. I believe shortly after we viewed our demo they made extensive changes to it so we've been meaning to get back into it.

Sherrie

Fan
I believe styling is improved on a lot in the next one. This is what I like about Woltlab is that the really seem to take on others feedback (humbly) and improve it whilst also improving on performance. I think of them as perfectionists, always trying to make it better :)

tomk

Adherent
Looking good Tracy Perry ! I think there is also a free add-on in their store that allows you to change the per forum icons to anything font awesome.

I know you don't have a lot of activity on that forum, but it seems faster running WBB then it did running IPB, which is odd since IPB uses guest caching, just clicking around, WBB seems faster.

Is WBB running on the same vps/server your IPB install was for NSL?

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Looking good Tracy Perry ! I think there is also a free add-on in their store that allows you to change the per forum icons to anything font awesome.
Thanks.. currently I'm battling with custom tags... doesn't help that most of the support is in German. :X3:
Yep, but I'm using some custom font icons that are not FA specific. ;)

Is WBB running on the same vps/server your IPB install was for NSL?
Very same server. Makes you realize how much of a hog IPS is really in the performance area.

tomk

Adherent
Very same server. Makes you realize how much of a hog IPS is really in the performance area.
Which is crazy since IPB has guest caching which should smoke WBB, and I was browsing before/after as a guest.

I'm sure you are going to run into things WBB can't do that XF does so well, to be honest neither WBB or IPB have anywhere near the features and functionality that XF does, at least not the features a power user such as yourself requires. :)

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Which is crazy since IPB has guest caching which should smoke WBB, and I was browsing before/after as a guest.

I'm sure you are going to run into things WBB can't do that XF does so well, to be honest neither WBB or IPB have anywhere near the features and functionality that XF does, at least not the features a power user such as yourself requires. :)
Actually, WBB so far has surprised me.... pleasantly.
I've been able to do a lot more with it a lot quicker than I was with IPS. And that's not because there is a similarity between WBB and XenForo - on the back end they are totally different and the styling process is nowhere similar.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Well, found one thing I really am not fond of. In XenForo, adding a menu item to the user panel, etc is a simple matter of editing the template and including it. In WBB apparently you have to create a plug-in to perform the same function. That in an of itself is an issue, since how many "normal" admins are also going to be familiar with creating plugins. To top it off, it's not documented anywhere I have found yet HOW to create the plug-in. That was also one of the reasons I wanted to get away from IPS - the dependence upon plugins to perform some of these functions that are very easy to do in other scripts via template edits and conditionals.
They do have a menu manager, but it's a very simplistic one - not allowing any settings for granting permissions on what group(s) have the authority to use that menu option.

dtdesign

Developer
This is really something we're not happy with, menus are way too static and leave only little room for customization.

On the bright side we're addressing these issues with 4.2 which will introduce a revamped menu system including the ability to create own menus and place them anywhere you want and assigning permissions. Unfortunately this version is still under heavy development, thus there is no proper footage I could show off at this time.

Sherrie

Fan
My son did my skin as a birthday present and as practice for him (he has since got a job as a php developer), he had a little bit of trouble understanding how to get started though due to the lack of documentation, now he'd probably have no problem as he's learnt a lot since then. Anyway what I'm trying to say is when he did the skin he added stuff to my menu for me such as administration to my CMS login (which only I can see), moved some things around aswell. I can ask him how he did it.

One thing i know he used for some other things for me back in 4.0 was custom template listeners, it's possible he used them to do it: https://pluginstore.woltlab.com/file/1494-custom-template-listeners/#overview

Sherrie

Fan
dtdesign thank you, this is what I like about Woltlab and stick with it despite the community being mostly German. I know that will change as more people realise how good already let alone the potential your software has thanks to you guys always trying to improve it.

Sherrie

Fan
Ok he just told me, not sure how he remembered so easily but he actually edited the file user panel template in my theme >< (sorry dtdesign)

I can give you the code for what he did for mine if it helps.

Sherrie

Fan
Ok I jumped on my computer so I could copy and paste it from my facebook:

ACP -> Appearance -> Templates -> List Templates

Find the template userPanel and copy it to a new template group (or use your existing template group if you have one set up). Add in one of the following snippets, wherever you would like the exclusive content:

For admin only:
Code:
{if $__wcf->session->getPermission('admin.general.canUseAcp')}
 <!-- admin only --> 
{/if}

For groups:
Code:
{assign var=groupIDs value= "1,2"|explode}
 {if $__wcf->getUser()->getGroupIDs()|in_array:$groupIDs}
 <!-- user group 1 and 2 only --> 
{/if}

Depending on what groups you want visible, change the id values in the first line: [tt]{assign var=groupIDs value= "groupid1,groupid2,groupid3"|explode}[/tt]

If this is your first time setting up the template group, you will now need to modify your style to use it. Do this by editing your active style at ACP -> Appearance -> Styles -> List Styles. At the bottom change the 'Template Group' drop down to point to the new template group you set up.

Sherrie

Fan
One more thing:

mention that he can add stuff to ul.interactiveDropdownUserMenuLinkList in that userPanel template file, add that will add links to the user section at the top of the menu

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Ok he just told me, not sure how he remembered so easily but he actually edited the file user panel template in my theme >< (sorry dtdesign)

I can give you the code for what he did for mine if it helps.
That's what I was looking at doing... I know some of it is pulled dynamically by the script... but that is also what XF does on many aspects. The userPanel template was what I was looking at.. and didn't really see why you could not hard code it in there in addition to the dynamic stuff.
The thread I have going over there was asking about that template specifically.. the issue that I was having was how to define it to show (since you can't add a language phrase) a specific wording for it and the perm's only for certain groups - since it's not an admin group it would be for webmail enabled users.
I'll play with that some Sherrie. Thanks!

Sherrie

Fan
Let me know if you need me to ask anything else about it. He knows exactly what its like trying to find the information.