I hate domain campers/sharks...

Nabix

Dear domain sharks and campers,

I hate you. . . The amount of times I've had a great, fantastic, or even brilliant, domain name idea (as I'm sure you have too) which I type all excited like in a domain name search and BAM, it's taken. Guess I will have to think of another name or settle for a different domain extension. . . Oh whats that? I can still buy the domain?! Only $28,750 and my unborn child? Deal, sign me up. Because I totally have $30k just chilling in my ramen savings to buy an over-inflated domain.

Have a great day,

Thanks,

- Nabix

P.S. I think Covid is starting to make me stir crazy. lol This self-quarantine thing is pretty strict where I live and really puts a damper on even doing small tasks. Working from home and spending the majority of my time here now is starting to get old. Great venting session. :whistle:

haqzore

Devotee
It's annoying, for sure.

But... It's an investment like any other. And there's nothing stopping us from doing it too 🤷‍♂️

Pigoo

Enthusiast
On the positive side...there are so many more domain name extensions than there used to be...this should help.

Hopefully someone isn't camping all possible extensions for "fredsgreatdoughnuts"!;)

Nabix

It's annoying, for sure.

But... It's an investment like any other. And there's nothing stopping us from doing it too 🤷‍♂️

I can't say I haven't sold a domain or too. But, I've never had the throw away cash to start sharking.

I get so frustrated sometimes that I start typing gibberish like "gdfgdfgdfgdfgdfgdf" to see if it's taken and sometimes it is. LOL.

Same. lol I will think of that great name, find out its taken. Then end up staring at the search bar for a good minute just thinking of something close or something different. lol

On the positive side...there are so many more domain name extensions than there used to be...this should help.

Hopefully someone isn't camping all possible extensions for "fredsgreatdoughnuts"!;)

True. But, I prefer to be as original as possible. Although I guess being original online is extremely difficult these days.

vbgamer45

Adherent
What I don't like nowadays it is harder to contact the domain holder. With the GDPR the emails are hidden. In past I used to contact the owner directly for a deal. Now it's like we have to go though a middleman.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I know what you mean looking for a good domain and everything we come up with is taken or they ask 1k to 50k.

Bengie

Aspirant
When one of the domains I wanted wasn't available but was for sale when I checked, I clicked on the link for a quote,
I got back a really stupid price and replied with the most obscene language and swear words I could come up with.
They still came back again and asked if I was interested.

I wouldn't pay those prices even if I won the lottery.

Last edited:

bomb

Aspirant
Dear domain sharks and campers,

I hate you. . . The amount of times I've had a great, fantastic, or even brilliant, domain name idea (as I'm sure you have too) which I type all excited like in a domain name search and BAM, it's taken. Guess I will have to think of another name or settle for a different domain extension. . . Oh whats that? I can still buy the domain?! Only $28,750 and my unborn child? Deal, sign me up. Because I totally have $30k just chilling in my ramen savings to buy an over-inflated domain.

Have a great day,

Thanks,

- Nabix

P.S. I think Covid is starting to make me stir crazy. lol This self-quarantine thing is pretty strict where I live and really puts a damper on even doing small tasks. Working from home and spending the majority of my time here now is starting to get old. Great venting session. :whistle:
Well said bro. I share your sentiments.
This is how my case went, in 2017, i hand registered a domain. Then life happened. I didn't renew it.
Fast forward to 2020, Coronavirus is here, self-quarantine, loads of online time; i decided to give it a try.
BOOOM!! Domain is listed at dan.com at $99! Ok, i figured i will get some cash and buy it back, coz i loved it. 3 weeks later, i have $99, i check again.
BOOOM!! It is now $169!! WTF! I just gave up and took its .net version at $9.8 (i know this will make him even hike the .com even more)!

feldon30

Adherent
It costs them a few dollars a year to hang onto each domain. If they hold 1,000 domains and sell 5 at the ridiculous cost, then they made their money. Even slumlords gotta eat, right?

sactown

Aspirant
This is like hating the owner of a lot I want to build my house on, simply because they secured ownership of it before me, and then condemning them for recognizing the value of their property.

Kyrie

Habitué
This is like hating the owner of a lot I want to build my house on, simply because they secured ownership of it before me, and then condemning them for recognizing the value of their property.

I hate those people too!

Bengie

Aspirant
This is nothing like what you suggest, this is a complete rip-off.

If a loaf of bread is produced for £1 (uk money) and sold for £2, that is a 100% markup, domains are being bought at
say £5 and marked up at least 25,000 percent, that is not recognising the value of something, that is exploitation.

Last edited:

haqzore

Devotee

If a loaf of bread is produced for £1 (uk money) and sold for £2, that is a 100% markup, domains are being bought at
say £5 and marked up at least 25,000 times, that is not recognising the value of something, that is exploitation.

But that particular domain isn't a necessity.
We want the one they're sitting on, but we don't need it.

You can buy a different domain for a few dollars in seconds. It's a bit exaggerated to call it exploitation when you aren't required to participate.

If I can afford a Toyota, Ferrari prices aren't exploitation because I'd prefer having one. I don't need to drive a Ferrari any more than we all need that perfect domain.

Last edited:

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
We still om noobish ?
Where are replies to my last questions/replies ?

sactown

Aspirant

say £5 and marked up at least 25,000 times, that is not recognising the value of something, that is exploitation.
Bread at the store is a commodity, each of those loaves are identical. Domains are each unique unto themselves, pieces of intellectual property. Can’t assign value of a domain based on the reg fee. There’s literally countless domains available today for reg fee, and they aren’t even worth that.