HTML5 pop ups how can I kill them

Do you find these HTML5 popups annoying?

• No, I enjoy the convenience of them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

computerology

Enthusiast
Along with HTML5 came the invention of the most annoying feature ever. In browser popups. Browsing a web page and next thing you know it's asking you for your email information, and little sliders coming from the bottom, top, or side of the page. Honestly, if a website uses these and they get in my way, I just hit the back button. I don't know why web developers think that these things are so great. I find them the most annoying thing ever, the old pop ups that appeared behind the window in focus were annoying but these things actually block the content you are trying to receive. It's almost like a bloody commercial appearing in the centre of your TV while the show is playing.

Is there any way to prevent your browser from allowing these "features"? I dont mind ads on a page, everyone has to pay the bills; top masted or on the sides or even in the middle of the content. But these ones that take over the page are the worst. I find them so annoying that I will not even click the X to close them, I just leave the bloody page.

BrandonSheley

loving life
Popups have been around for as long as the internet itself.
Have you tried adblocker in firefox or chrome?

BeyBrad

Adherent
Popups have been around for as long as the internet itself.
Have you tried adblocker in firefox or chrome?

He's referring to modal overlays that advertise products or try to capture leads. Not traditional popups that open in a new tab or browser. AFAIK there are no adblockers that block these ... yet.

BrandonSheley

loving life
Ah, I'd be surprised if there isn't a plugin to block them. I see code snippets in google showing, I always just delete node inspecting elements if I really want to see what's behind them

computerology

Enthusiast
He's referring to modal overlays that advertise products or try to capture leads. Not traditional popups that open in a new tab or browser. AFAIK there are no adblockers that block these ... yet.

YES.

Once in a while these things arent so bad. Some websites are using them 2 and three in a row now and as you are scrolling through the page they are popping up everywhere, oftentimes blocking content. Obviously, it's an idiot developer if they are blocking content, but they are becoming so ubiquitous it is making the web annoying to use at all.

There has to be some way to block these code snippets and anything inside them. It is such a major annoyance on both PC/Mac browsers and mobile phones there has got to be a billion dollar market for such a thing, if not a freeware alternative built by some annoyed coder with great capabilities.

In the meantime, anyone using these things should be brought to the woodshed and given a good paddling.