cinq

Adherent
As per title ?

I am interested to hear some views :)

Purple

Adherent
Drag them out back and shoot them? :bugeye:

No, that is a bit harsh.

I would think it would depend on the situation. Direct communication is needed, along with verifiable reasons.

mojo

Habitué
First, I would have provided them with their expectations before giving them any title. Then...

1. at first notice that they were failing, I would contact them and ask them if everthing was ok, because I had noticed them not able to keep up with what they had agreed to.

2. If they answered, see step 3. :) , if after a week or so, they had not answerered, bye bye.

3. Upon this step, if said person is still dying on the vine, bye bye. You are paying money to run a site. If the people that are interested in being a part of it are no longer willing to hold up their end of what they offered to do, then it is time to go.

Now, if this is a paid position, you have to handle it a little differently. Meaning.

1. Paid person not doing job asked. Contact them, and if they answer positively, they get one very short chance. If you have to contact them a second time, then that second contact is to tell them to enjoy life without your money.

Shoutingtalk

Smile
I have had to do this, I did ask them if everything was ok, they said it was but after a week they still had not gone on the site, I then told them, when you agreed to take up the moderators position, you agreed that you would visit the site often and help others blah blah....it appears that you have not done either of these and if we do not here a response with a reason for your lack of posting on the forum, we will terminate your moderator position...sometyhing like that.

Just don't be too harsh

RedBox

Participant
We recently had a problem with a mod and had to fire him. Our forum is really a women's health site, but we have a small forum for men that might want to discuss the same issues. Our male mod started out great, but the position went to his head. He developed attitude problems, eventually started bossing people around, calling them names, and sending threatening PMs demanding respect, etc. I PMd him and I pointed out specific things he did, stating that each was inappropriate and was damaging to the forum community as a whole. I told him that we had no other option than to let him go. However, we did not make it public knowledge that he was fired, and handled it as discreetly as possible.

The only other time we fired a mod was due to lack of interest. She had been a mod for ages, but had not posted in 6 months. She visited almost every day. The mod log showed she never handled any mod functions, and we wondered why she was even there. I asked her if she wanted to retire, and she asked to remain as a mod. Another 6 months later, no change. I didn't even ask, I just removed her, as we had plenty of active mods. She then sent an angry PM, said she didn't realize she was no longer a mod until she could not access our private moderator's forum. As it turned out, she was a mod on a similar forum, and was only using her mod status to read our private posts in the mod forum. Live and learn. We keep a much closer eye on our mods now.

jasonlambert

Aspirant
1) Do it via PM, NEVER publicly.

2) Explain why they are being dropped/fired in 1 sentance . (DONT make a 5 page case against them, it will just start an argument or give them some "fodder" to throw back at you). Say thanks for all your help in the past, and wish them the best for the future. Signed ......

3) If you have a private forum section just for moderators (you should do as this improves communication and team building), make a short post in there explaining BRIEFLY who is no longer a mod and why.

3a) (following from 3) - ALWAYS end that post on a positive note. eg, mention something about how well the site is going to do in the future etc. Give moderators confidence that they are not next for the chop :)

4) If the person just demoted decides to take it public, and make a big argument out of it, ban them perminantly and instantly. Dont waste any time with people who seek to disrupt and waste your time.

All I would suggest, and yes, I suppose this very much depends on the circumstances, would be to give them an opportunity such that they have their own exit strategy... i.e. make it look as though they made the decision.. ;)

Always better in the long run.

Jerdoulus

Aspirant
cinq said:
As per title ?

How would you go about firing someone in the team? What about taking out a BFG and shooting them in the face? I don't know but I would think that nobody likes to get fired - Even though being a mod probably isn't a paid post. People do lose interest in stuff though. So they probably just need some encouragement to get back on track and become active again.

Lugh

Habitué
theMusicMan said:
give them an opportunity such that they have their own exit strategy... i.e. make it look as though they made the decision
I agree, that's a much more preferable approach if it's an option in the circumstances.

cinq

Adherent
theMusicMan said:
give them an opportunity such that they have their own exit strategy... i.e. make it look as though they made the decision.. ;)
Interesting thought. How could this be achieved ?

Lugh

Habitué
Invite them to make a resignation post, then follow up thanking them for their help and wishing them well.

tammikuu

vBulletin User
Mike Feury said:
Invite them to make a resignation post, then follow up thanking them for their help and wishing them well.
I am just about to make such a PM to one of our mods. I will say nicely, but strongly enough this mod hasn't been doing the job, so it would be time to step down.

DaveMo

Aspirant
Sometimes an "exit" strategy is to talk with the mod and tell them that you understand that they have other responsibilities and they don't have time to do their mod job. Maybe they can come back when things have changed.

I think that would work with some.

cinq said:
Interesting thought. How could this be achieved ?
What I meant by this was to manipulate the conversation such that the member thinks he/she is in control of the situation... but actually, you are the one firmly in control and it is you that has the desired outcome you're aiming for. Clever use of psychology, language, influence, guilt etc could then make it appear that the user understands that he/she should stand down/resign/whatever - which is the outcome you wanted in any event.

It is then quite clearly a win-win situation. You get the outcome you wanted, you retain your integrity in the eyes of your moderator and your forum members, and the moderator keeps his/her integrity and does not need to be 'sacked' etc.

tammikuu

vBulletin User
tammikuu said:
I am just about to make such a PM to one of our mods.
I did make that PM... trouble is this mod hasn't signed in since to read and reply to me... I really would like this situation go so that she could make her own "I'm stepping down" post to the other mods, but how long do I have patience to wait till she comes online again? :irked:
I am tempted to just de-mod and send another PM advising of this...
I know I'm being too nice, I should just get it over with.

Rudy

Enthusiast
cinq said:
As per title ?

We had to get firm with our moderators--either learn to work with us and admit what you did was wrong, or don't work with us at all. Not all moderators think alike, but this was almost a case of mutiny, where we had to be clear on who should stay on the team. Our admin at the time gave us the ultimatum: Who's in? Who's out? We had one mod leave without admitting anything, and another one quit for half a year just over the way it was handled.

I think we've had more mods abandon their jobs, vs. quitting outright.

Jagg

Adherent
As harsh as it sounds I fired four moderators almost at once last April. Though only one was causing the problems the others were acting as if they were his "carbon copies" and were doing lots of fun stuff to get back at me.

The reason I gave to the other members was "difference of opinions", the reason they gave was "he is an idiot".

Nowdays you could say that things are back to normal as the moderators currently available are mature enough to handle situations and the problems from the former staff are down to minimal(2-3 times a month?).

Barrikin

Launch Team Leader
[Your name]
[title/forum name]
[date]

[RecipientName]
[title]

Dear [name]
This is to notify you that your employment with our forum is terminated as of today. The reason for your termination is [reason].
You have not made any effort to offer a satisfactory explanation for your [reasons said above].
Sincerely,

[Your Name]
[Title]