How to run a successful forum: Staff

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Shawn Gossman submitted a new Article:

By: Shawn J. Gossman (Forum Owner, TheAdminZone.com Moderator)

Sorry for not having this article out sooner but life has hit me with all sorts of new goals and chores. This article is about having a successful staff team on your forum. This article is one of many I plan to include in this series of articles. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to link it off-site as long as my credit above stays in tact and you provide a link to this page as well.

Choosing your staff team and when to do it:
Its good to have a staff team on a forum. You can not do it yourself especially as you grow larger in size and members. You eventually will need to hire new staff. It is better to hire from within your forum. Look for members who are active and contribute a lot to your forum. Then send them a PM or email asking if they would like to be staff on your forum. Only choose new staff members when your forum really needs more. Like for example, when you first start out, you and another member is all they staff you need. Make sure you have more members than staff or some members may feel threatened by an increasing volume of staff members. Make sure favoritism and pride does not get in the way when you are hiring staff from within.

Calm staff is the way to go:
Make sure your staff members are laid back, calm but quick to moderate when it comes down to it. I have always been laid back to the point where if a user was violating a little minor infraction and no one seemed to be bothered, I would let it slip past me. If it became abusive, then I would step in. Make sure your staff warn people in private, doing so in public may embarrass the member and that could cause them to retaliate against that staff member bringing more drama and offenses to your forum. Staff members need to be mature and not fight with people. I have been a member of forums where moderators would call me names because I was not a part of their political party and when I reported them, they threaten to ban me. That is not a good thing and will scare most from joining your community as well as attract those who want to fight and cause drama. People can have their opinions, fine but when they use it against other members of your forum, then it will become a problem, I promise!

Active Staff Only:
Make sure your staff remain active. Have them try to get more members and make new posts. One of my main staff requirements is that all staff members have to...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Naviero

Love
I like your articles. :)

I have to say that choosing staff (excluding staff for the opening, in some cases) is generally better. It will allow you to have a successful forum because they actually enjoy the forum and aren't dragged onto the board. :D

Mythotical

Habitué
Very nice article, the only downside I see to it is this, with active staff only section. You cannot make staff remain active, the most you can do is give incentive or boot them off staff. Overall though, I enjoyed reading this article.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thanks Myth :)
A main requirement I tell is staff is they must be active. I understand if they have lives but I expect to see them visiting several times a week. For the most part it works, my co-admin isn't very active but he is the co-owner of the network of weather sites, so lol he doesn't really have to be :p

Taffy

Aspirant
I think your article is spot on.

This is exactly how I feel about having staff on a site and how members should be treated.

I think your attitude is diplomatic, fair and inviting.

Thank you for taking the time to post this thread. :tup:

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thanks for your comment :)

Yeah, I want members to see my staff as fellow community members not just staff. I want them to understand they are in charge BUT NOT TO FEAR THEM. Staff who want people to fear them are too egotistic and not staff material IMO.

Sandrope

Aspirant
I can share the same experiences on choosing staff, but some of the aspects mentioned by you in your article were also new to me. Thank you for this article Shawn.

giorgioanne

Neophyte
It's very nice article, I got some information from your posting. Thanks for your sharing information...

HarryWx

IPB 3.0+ User
Yeah that makes sense. Never thought about it that way, let them know up front.

Thats been my policy from day 1. And believe me i have let go of staff who were not active. I think that really reflects poorly on a site to have staff who never post and interact with the community.

Good article Shawn!

Live2Die

Adherent
Shawn, I would like to congratulate you for taking the time to type all of this. :)

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thank you :) I like writing these kinds of articles but I just wish I had more time to do it... LOL

Live2Die

Adherent
Thank you :) I like writing these kinds of articles but I just wish I had more time to do it... LOL

Ah I know what you mean. You still had time to type this though. I'm sure It will (or already has) helped a few administrators. :)