How To Recover Money?

will thomas

Neophyte
Hello,

Me and my partners have been building simple software for business owners to track user engagement and automate their emails. I have had two or these companies now not pay my company and take our software for their use. We have contracts and agreements between us and our client but I am unsure how to go about recovering what is owed to me. Has anyone gone through this before? and how did you recover the money that was owed?

vbgamer45

Adherent
Depends on the amount of money lost. If it is downloadable software having some kind of license system to check helps prevent that. Or if it's a php script you can use something such as ioncube they have a bunch of license features.

KnownHost

Participant
Good morning Will,

I understand your situation. I use the affiliate program at Accounts Receivable and I earn commission by just referring clients to Accounts Receivable's Affiliate Program. Here is the link, educate yourself and become an Affiliate so you can earn a commission with just referring other businesses to Accounts Receivable.

I'm not sure your post really answers his question. It does look like that company is a collections agency but you just kinda told him to become an affiliate, not how he can get his money back ;)

KnownHost

Participant
Has anyone gone through this before? and how did you recover the money that was owed?

This is a tough one. Because simply put, often times it is not worth the time to try and collect money if it is a small amount and it varies on if you guys are in the same country / state / city or not, as distance makes it more difficult.

There are companies out there, that will take on collections at no cost to you, with the promise that they get 30-40% if they collect, so this may be an option if it's a smaller amount.

As far as the company using your software without payment, if it's being used for a website, file a copyright complaint against them, and their webhost. If within the USA a DMCA will do the trick. It is your duty to mitigate your damages, so that would be your attempt to mitigate damages.

If this is a large sum of money, then either small claims court, or hire a lawyer but that can get into tricky territory, esp if a lawer didn't necessarily draft the contract. So in that case, I'd pay a lawyer to examine the contract first, and then send a demand letter to them for payment and cease usage of your software. You can probably get a lawyer to do that for a grand or under. (They are expensive!)

we_are_borg

Administrator
Hello,

Me and my partners have been building simple software for business owners to track user engagement and automate their emails. I have had two or these companies now not pay my company and take our software for their use. We have contracts and agreements between us and our client but I am unsure how to go about recovering what is owed to me. Has anyone gone through this before? and how did you recover the money that was owed?

Where the companies located what country.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Contact their company's heach onchos or whoever controls the finances. Remind them your ability to satisfy their business needs with your software depends on being paid timely as agreed upon by both parties, and that continued use of your code is conditioned by the companies' respecting their end of the deal (timely payment of the full sum).

Next time, leave some functionalty inhouse, create an API to access it, and either provide free access to your clients or charge for continued use of the API (different prices per activity level or client, even). Its really the only viable way to monetize important software nowadays and punish bad payers and contract breakers with an immediate sanction (suspension of functionalty) to make them honor your dues.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Hello,

Easy peasy. Call an attorney.

KnownHost

Participant
Easy peasy. Call an attorney.

True, but that really depends on the value here. If it's only a few thousand dollars you may spend more for an attorney than you'll get. If it's tens of thousands or more then absolutely lawyer up and go after em.