How to raise your Google SEO ranking

DigNap15

Habitué
How to raise your Google SEO ranking

I have had a gutsful of Google's antics.
They seem to censor my forum, it goes from page 2 to page 6.
Yet on other search engines eg Bing, DuckDuck Go and IXQuick I am in the top 2 or 3 on page 1.

I do not want to have to spend hours on Google Search Console, or Google Anaytlics, or Adsense,, just to play their games.

Google, owns Youtube which is de-monetising many political and histrory sites, taking away peoples income just like that.

So my strategy to get to the top of Google is to advise as many people as possible not to use Google, until they go back to their first alogthm sof popular websites and no censorship and not advertsing or sales based.

Many people are worried about Google tracking them, so I think my plan has a chance over the next few years.

What do you think?

Last edited:

l3ta

Enthusiast
If you go against Google, it will be your Waterloo, mon general. I think your site is doing just fine in G's search given its age. You are crushing it!

ruseneca

Neophyte
People not using Google? It's impossible strategy. You'd better try to improve forum's content, users' experience. Longer stay might help. You must understand how Google works if you want to be placed higher. Else, competition will catch up and they will replace you.

User37935

Neophyte
So my strategy to get to the top of Google is to advise as many people as possible not to use Google, until they go back to their first alogthm sof popular websites and no censorship and not advertsing or sales based.

Google doesn't seem to rank forum content as high these days. It's not surprising in some respects, a typical forum thread page has a lot of duplicate content (people endlessly quoting entire previous posts) and can often be quite old. This is why a lot of forum owners have a blog/Wordpress front end, to push out more "quality" content and articles which can rank better and provide a way into your forum.

Also you are at a disadvantage if your niche is also one where people sell products (eg. photography) because you are competing against companies with big budgets to throw at SEO and advertising - all of this pushes hobbyist sites down the page for some of the more generic searches.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Why do you think Google is censoring you in particular? Is there a subject on your site they would find controversial?

DigNap15

Habitué
Why do you think Google is censoring you in particular? Is there a subject on your site they would find controversial?
Because here in NZ we only have 5 million people.
My forum is a general forum, opinion, politics, cars, books, music etc. With Opinion and Politics by far the largest.
If I search Google for "New Zealand Political Forums" I am soomtimes on page 3, the next day on page 5 or 6.
Most of the results are not real forums, and many of them are old, smome no longer do politics. I know I should be on page 1 and in the top 2 or 3.

As I said above other search engines such as Bing, DuckDuckGo and IXQuick all have me on page 1 in the top 3 or 4.

Why should I have to go through all the Google hoops of sitemaps, search Engine Console, just to go up and down wildly.
I think it because my site mentions politics and USA politics, and does not have any adverts.

User37935

Neophyte
If I search Google for "New Zealand Political Forums" I am soomtimes on page 3, the next day on page 5 or 6.

If I Google "New Zealand Issues Forum" - the actual name of your site - it comes up number 1.

If politics is your main keyword do you need to make it more prominent on your site? Politics isn't used as a sub-forum name until the 7th forum down in your list and "politics forum" or "political forum" is hardly used at all on your landing page and not until way after the fold. Google can only rank what it sees, this is more likely an explanation IMHO than suggesting you're being censored because of politics or lack of adverts.

DigNap15

Habitué
If I Google "New Zealand Issues Forum" - the actual name of your site - it comes up number 1.

If politics is your main keyword do you need to make it more prominent on your site? Politics isn't used as a sub-forum name until the 7th forum down in your list and "politics forum" or "political forum" is hardly used at all on your landing page and not until way after the fold. Google can only rank what it sees, this is more likely an explanation IMHO than suggesting you're being censored because of politics or lack of adverts.
Thank you very much for that.
You may be on to it.
As you say if people search for my site - NZIssues, then we come up number one.
But that assumes they know the name of my forum, which most people in New Zealand will not. (yet)
But what if they are looking for a forum that covers politics, they might search for "New Zealand Politcal forum"

As you say our polictics forum is the 7th sub forum. I moved it down there so as not be to too overt, and put off people who were just interested in cars or gardening, or movies

Google does repeat what I wrote in my Xenforo meta tag, which is good.
You have given me some things to think about.

Coud you explain what you mean by "the fold"
"politics forum" or "political forum" is hardly used at all on your landing page and not until way after the fold

Thankyou so much!
You are indeed "Ingenious"

Last edited:

User37935

Neophyte
The fold is the bit below the visible screen when you land on a page. Traditionally key and important stuff is above the fold, the less important stuff and general content below the fold. Whilst the importance of this for SEO has always been argued about, it's a useful concept to appreciate for your human visitors. If something engaging isn't there above the fold, you risk having people bounce back, because people won't scroll down without a reason to do so.

So if people are coming to your forum for political debate - or that's what you want them to see - you need to have politics related content, forums and other keywords right up there near the top.

DigNap15

Habitué
Sadly, even though my fourm is popular, I don't seem to have many (any) backlinks

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
for the term "gun forum"
DuckDuckGo - page 2
Google pg4
Bing - page 2

I have played the game for google and its not a hard game. But I will take the rankings I get for the term gun forum because my forum is a geo gun forum.

if I search for alabama gun forum I am first in all of them :D

DigNap15

Habitué

I know
But now do a search for New Zealand Politcal Forums on Google, and I am at the bottom of Page 1
Or if you just make it singular ie forum I am on page 3!
Geekzone comes uphigh - fair enough
But so does Kiwi Blog and they are not a forum!
Also there are quite a few Forums - which are really just conferences which is one reason why our word forum is a diappaointing choice of word

DigNap15

Habitué
for the term "gun forum"
DuckDuckGo - page 2
Google pg4
Bing - page 2

I have played the game for google and its not a hard game. But I will take the rankings I get for the term gun forum because my forum is a geo gun forum.

if I search for alabama gun forum I am first in all of them :D
Just wait till Google bans the word "Gun"