How to quickly and easily make my vB3 Forum READ Only

oldengine

oldengine
How to quickly and easily make my vB3 Forum READ Only while I make my transition over to the promised community? No, not set a whole bunch of permissions or Turn Your vBulletin On and Off.

Ultimately, it will be: Redirect 301 /oldfolder/ http://www.newdomain.net/newfolder/

But, during the changeover, I'd like to make the old location read-only until we have everything moved and settled. I don't want to re-invent the wheel and surely someone knows how to do this.

Thank you, everyone, it has been a good fifteen and 1/2 years and 1.5 million posts, but end-of-life is THE END.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
There is no way of doing this through the adminCP that I'm aware of (other than by changing permissions). Can you not just change the permissions for the registered user group?

Otherwise I would suggest disabling new registrations which you can do in the aCP and removing the editor. I don't have access to vB3 so I can't tell you exactly how to do it but it should be easily achievable by adding the appropriate code in your style's extra.css template.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
As zappa says, you cannot directly.
You must alter usergroup permissions.

You could write a pluging that disables the appropriate permissions for everyone.
Honestly though, just doing it the proper way is better, plus you can still allow admins update access.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
Doing it right is the best option but, assuming you don't use tapatalk or any kind of 3rd party service, just blank out all the new posting and new reply templates and disable quick reply in the settings.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Backup the editpost.php, newreply.php, newattachment.php and newthread.php files.

Replace them with a simple php script:

Code:
<?php
echo "Sorry, posting is temporarily disabled.";
And turn off Tapatalk posting for all user groups.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
Not sure if that would stop editing... Just trying to think of everything.