How to make forum popular ?

Faust

Enthusiast
Hello there. How I could make my forum popula, I mean what's the best way to have a lots of posts and users and to make it popular. Thanks

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Generally by posting unique quality content the people want to read. If you are starting from nothing you need to be prepared to put the time in and start that process yourself.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Generally by posting unique quality content the people want to read. If you are starting from nothing you need to be prepared to put the time in and start that process yourself.
and then personally ask other people to come and post good content also --

Nabix

A lot of it also has to do with type of niche you are pursuing. Say, a gaming forum. Then Good luck because literally 7/10 forums are gaming centered websites. Hell, most of the themes designers create are based on gaming styles.

But, the most important part is the quality of content. Content is king... Also, have good knowledge of the subject you base your forum over. Otherwise you will be struggling to create topics.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Provide services that make visitors want to visit. It can take time but failing step 1 is game over.
Focus on getting repeat visitors first, then some of them will become members to participate.
Build up and preserve that pool of highly engaged members' satisfaction.

Let me preface with that a new, empty forum has nothing going for it. The absolute least you could do is start with a frontpage-type website that duplicates articles into forum threads or uses the forum to store article comments. This would populate it at a decent pace, as long as you dont forget that a fresh frontpage is a lot of work.

Faust

Enthusiast
My forum is for photographers, so I’m thinking will get popular after a while.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Did you plan to deploy Chevereto as a substitute to Photobucket and Flickr ? Lots of photographers got stung when those services crippled the experience and limited features and embeds to expensive plans.

Faust

Enthusiast
Never heard about it. I don’t think I can integrate with Vbulletin, this is the big minus with Vbulletin, no proper media content .

Num7

Adherent
- Quality over quantity.
- Invite your friends.
- Be active on the forum.
- Post quality stuff on other similar sites with your site in signature.
- Share your content to social medias that make sense. Like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Pinterest, etc.
- Be positive and patient.
- Moderate your expectations. Is your objective to become an Internet millionnaire out of a forum? That rarely happens IMO. Do you want to run a successful community? Good news, that's possible!

Good luck! :)

Faust

Enthusiast
Thanks. My forum is based in photography. so let's see.

overcast

Adherent
I think creating content and then joining facebook groups and sending that groups traffic to the forum is one way.

Faust

Enthusiast
Depending, in most groups your post need to approved

Faust

Enthusiast
Is still new, so not really much going on. Planning to move to xenforo in couple of months I think

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Thanks. My forum is based in photography. so let's see.
I tend to avoid SEO because I associate it with all the other regular spam topics that annoy me but I do a lot of image searching and I wonder if a forced image captiondescription might be beneficial if your forum is image heavy?

Faust

Enthusiast
My forum is only 1 month old, and not really a lot of images. As I said, I'm planning to migrate to an other forum board as vbulletin doesn't provide the features which I need for my forum.

sbjsbj

Fan
A new formed photography forum? It is basically as difficult as getting a gaming forum going. Why?

All people will use Instagram to showcase their stuff, nobody will bother to use a forum. You cannot beat a billion dollar company at its own game, you need to offer something what they cannot, which in your case is nothing I am afraid.

Also, you need to focus on a niche. "Photography" as a niche is pretty vanilla and too big. If you had a niche like "animals sleeping only photos" kind of thing going, then you could have a slim chance. But at the end of the day you would have to have an Instagram of your website and publish all the photos of your forum there to get more audience. But then again you would move all your audience to there place and lose.

Also have you thought about server cost? Images these days are very high resolution. Maybe at the start like 3-4 years you can stem it but eventually the costs will rise.

Also I have not seen a good photo gallery (media gallery) addon for a long time now. This will bother you a lot, trust me.

Faust

Enthusiast
The forum is one month old, but I want a xenforo forum, and I might change my mind.

About media gallery, that will be nice to have it. But I like xenforo media content.

sbjsbj

Fan
Switching to XF will not solve any of your problems.

What will be your content? What on Google will i have to type, so I will land on your site? Think about that. You must have something when people search for it, that they will land on your site.

Getting a forum software is easy. But the problem is content. You must have a plan like "I will offer this this this, and after 6 months I will have this". YOU have to provide the content, nobody else will do so.

Do you have expertise in photography? Like if I asked you, can you tell me the techniques of making photos? Like lighting, contrast, angles, lenses, etc.?
You could start writing articles about these stuff and showcase example photos. This is one way to go but again, there is Google images, Instagram, billions of other photo websites, then other photography forums. I don't want to discourage you but I think you should ask yourself about your plans. Without a plan or a really good niche, you will have ghost town for a veeery long time.