How to leave a community or stop posting at a forum

hari

Tazmanian
hari submitted a new Article:

How to leave a community or stop posting at a forum

I've seen a lot of tips from members on how to grow and manage a community. At the same time many of us are also members at other communities and aren't always in a position to control our posting habits. Sometimes we want to leave a forum and yet we find it so difficult to break away because there is something that keeps pulling us back there. Here are some of my tips on how to avoid getting trapped in a community you no longer enjoy or wish to participate in. I hope this helps all of you!

Tip 1: Break away in stages

A lot of the time, people expect to stop visiting a forum or a community almost immediately. Completely break away ties. This rarely works out. You will be driven back from time to time because you will experience withdrawal symptons particularly if you have been very active in that community. The best advice I can give you is to try and reduce your participation in stages. If you have been posting 40 messages a day, try and bring it down to 30, 20 and then one or two. You can almost never completely withdraw from a forum you've been very active on.

Tip 2: Don't leave farewell messages

Much as you might be tempted to leave a farewell message either out of anger or any other reason, this gives you another reason NOT to leave. Apart from other members who might want you to stay, you will also be taunted mercilessly by hostile members and forced to make a reply which will just make the situation worse. If you don't like how a community is run, try and leave as quietly as possible. Leaving farewell messages could be more harmful to your reputation and would make you look like a fool if you continue posting.

Tip 3: Try to leave during a quiet period

Most communities go through stages of quiet and intense activity. On larger forums this might not be too visible, but you yourself can see when a forum looks less active by experience. There might be a fall in new topics created and new members registered. There might be a reduction in controversial and flame war type posts. These are the best stages to cut down your activity.

Much as many of us are against controversy and flame wars, nobody can resist a troll. If you are trying to leave a community during an extreme phase of discussion or activity in which you have involved yourself, you will find it very difficult to leave. It...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshB

TalkSTAR
Wow... Original Article. As I recently had to leave an un-nameable for legal reasons forum, I went completely the other way from those tips and boy did I regret it. I have this in my favourites, I hope you do not mind if I link a few colleagues to it haris?

hari

Tazmanian
No problem. Feel free to share it (with acknowledgement or link back to here) :)

JoshB

TalkSTAR
Dont worry, Im not into article thieving, I just wanna pm three people a link to here. Thanks for your permission.

hari

Tazmanian
I wouldn't even mind if you copied it over there. ;) Thanks... sorry if I implied that I thought you would copy without permission. I always like to make things clear... Creative Commons is a great license for such things.

dojo

Passionate admin
The article is nice, and original.

I am active in many forums (over 100). I had hundresds of posts in some and I was very active. I just stop going there, no plans at all. If I am not happy, I am not wasting my time anymore. :)

Fokker

Aspirant
that thoughts are right

That's a nice article. So it should be done.

Infact I did it the same way, when I left a community where I was very involved (emotional and organisationally).

hari

Tazmanian
Glad you found the article useful. Thanks a lot for the feedback :D

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
Interesting article, Hari. Perhaps, someone should pen a counterpoint, like "How to Slink Back into a Forum Relatively Unnoticed After You've Made a Grand Ass of Yourself." 'Twill not be me. I'm not even really sure what I'm doing here, ATM. ;)

Hope your summer has gone well.

hari

Tazmanian
Hey, palephoenix, good idea for a new article. :) Should be quite a challenge. Thanks for the feedback...

I suspect though that the simple answer to your question would be "time is the great healer".

Mephisto

Pharaoh
Wow, interesting article, hope id ready it before since i had to leave a forum where i was the main moderator, bad disagree with the new administrator :mad: it was the real reason but i left a farewell message explaining collateral reasons :p it worked to leave with huge proofs of friendship from the members :D but after a week i found my account in the "miserable users" group, that plug-in on vB wich avoids a member to view the forum with no need to ban the member so, im out of there forever, sad but true
rockon.gif

Thanks for the article, ill use it next time i have to leave from somewhere