How to get real members to a forum?

mrb1129

Aspirant
How to get real members to a forum? Who really contribute.

So far I have tried forum marketing. But most of them who came are spammers. How do you guys do it?

Ingenious

Fan
If you search through the new forum showcases here or on XF etc, quite a high % of new forums never make it beyond a few months, so I totally sympathise with you, it can be hard to get the ball rolling. I was lucky and got established before social media came along... but I do think the same principles apply today: Good content, something that makes you stand out, a passionate core of knowledgeable members (starting with you!), be appreciative of people who post good stuff (so many forums neglect this) and finally be wary of plastering an immature forum with advertising.

Personally, I think the strongest forums are those with a static/blog content part too - even on a different URL - this content is liked more than forum posts by Google and it can bring in people for that niche who can then be encouraged to join or ask questions in your forum.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
In order to succeed, new forums must to have a good reason for being. They need to be an authority on a subject or provide a service. There needs to be unique, quality content and activity. Without all of that, there is no possibility of growth.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
zappaDPJ is correct. There is no magic to it and you can't get it simply by marketing. If you want to have a successful forum that people want to read and join, you need to
  • identify the purpose of your forum,
  • understand who your audience is (at the very least, the primary audience), and
  • ensure you are both producing and encouraging members to produce, good content that meets your purpose and speaks to that audience.
If you can do all that, you will get people to come to the forum. Most will be strictly readers, but some will become engaged enough to join the discussions. How many that might be will depend on a variety of things, such as market saturation, and the size of your potential audience base.

mrb1129

Aspirant
I get it. Make it unique. But its not that easy you know specially all the Quora, reddit groups along with the social media groups running simultaneously.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
It has nothing to do with making it "unique". Unique content is not necessarily appealing to a large audience.

Lala

Participant
I get it. Make it unique. But its not that easy you know specially all the Quora, reddit groups along with the social media groups running simultaneously.
That's exactly the thought process: who is your ideal member, and why should they use your site instead of reddit, Quora, or whatever other competitors you see? What makes your site better for this ideal member, what advantages does it offer that no other site offers? Once you figure it out - expand on these advantages and market them specifically...