How to encourage guests to register?

Stewpot

Aspirant
What do you do to make sure to encourage guests to register? we are having problems turning our guests into members. We get a few guests a day.

Dragonlair

Just Curious!
The best way is to have something they want but can't get except as a member!

In my case, we have a list of sites that offer free cross-stitch patterns that can only be seen as a member as well as our own free patterns can only be downloaded by members.

What you offer depends on your own niche. Be creative.

MarkR

Fan
What do you do to make sure to encourage guests to register? we are having problems turning our guests into members. We get a few guests a day.
To my guests they are limited at what they can view, their restrictions are:

1. They can't view attachments, but they can view attachment thumbnails (sort of a tease :p). When they click the attachment thumbnail to enlarge, it sends them directly to the registration page. This is effective for my community, because we have a huge amount of attachments, almost over 40,000.
  2. In addition to the above, we have a "Manuals" section for Power Tools, and of course, need to be a member to download.
  3. Another is our ads, we display the block Google Ads to guests (The large square ones, don't recall the exact dimensions), as well as a message which states, "Registration reduces ads". I'm fairly sure this encourages registrations.
  4. I've also used a Refer a Friend system, and encouraged my members to use it. This is pretty effective if you have members eager to help the community.

To summarize, if you are a community with a lot of attachments, my first suggestion will probably be very effective. The second suggestion is similar to the first, but if the niche of your forum will allow you to develop a section where you can host desirable documents or information, that will also encourage registrations. Sometimes ads can encourage members to register if they are promised a cleaner view of your content.

shoeb000

Participant
It actually depends on the interest of the members, Provide them "what they are looking for", Check out your traffic stats keywords, and provide that thing in your posts, they will most likely become members.
Main thing is they should be ACTIVE members, there are forum where people never posts, but becomes members to get access to certain things.

1] Make whole download section or turorials section only for members.
2] Provide ads free board to members, provide a button "HIDE ALL ADS", on clicking of which, people should get message or redirection to requirement section, where make it clear that members wont be presented with ads.
3] Interesting and Hot Topic discussions are also part of the strategy.

wzap300

Aspirant
What works for me is telling guests that we promote to about the benefits or registration and how they get the ability to post and customize their profiles.

Joshuad

Developer
A lot of the methods I've read in this thread are ways to get 1,000 members and a board total of 250 posts.

There are only 2 ways to encourage active participating users. Its that simple. One is requiring a certain level of activity to gain something, which means 2/3 of your posts are going to be garbage, the other way, the BEST way, is to have good, compelling content.

How do you think taz has so many good active users? It isn't the 10 post requirement to send a private message, I assure you. You will notice that all good, successful forums have a distinguishable amount of top quality information for their niche.

lllAE86lll

Computer Technician
What really work is the amount of content you have in the forum, it encourages them to register and join the community

cylonshanghai

Aspirant
Make a few forums or useful resources only available for registered members...

Last edited:

Iconic

Tazralian
What I have done is, let members view around 10 posts before they need to quick register/ register (so far it is working).

computerology

Enthusiast
A lot of the methods I've read in this thread are ways to get 1,000 members and a board total of 250 posts.

There are only 2 ways to encourage active participating users. Its that simple. One is requiring a certain level of activity to gain something, which means 2/3 of your posts are going to be garbage, the other way, the BEST way, is to have good, compelling content.
Well that isnt all bad. I entirely sympathize that forcing people to register does not vis a vis mean that those who register will also participate (post events, files, and threads and replies). However they have to register in order to do those things, so if you can get them to register, then you may be able to get them to take the next steps and start to participate.

This is no small task (forcing users to register in order to download files does not, for example, neccessarily attract the kind of people who want to post in your forums), but there are more ways than you describe above.

On my site I have a PHP code snippet that I built in a block that reads the user's total number of posts, some information that they entered into their profile, and their rank (both appointed and based on post count), parses that information, and provides them with some guidance on suggestions of things for them to do such as introduce themselves on the forum, locate a recruiter, and follow up on their introductions for responses in a single click. I have found that having that snippet activated gives those who may find the navitgation of the site somewhat daunting a quick-launch way to get started and it provides results.

Oftentimes forum boards are so dry every mod wants to constantly add new features. There are a lot of users online who have never used a forum board and who dont intrinsically "know" that there "must be" a registration page and that there "must be" a way to start a new thread or even to find what they are looking for. I think a lot of admins overestimate the sophistication of a lot of their users and therefore dont make things easy or simple enough for people to figure out how to participate. I am befuddled for example how many users (prior to my snippet) registered up but didnt even know how to get to the forums.

Making it simple and easy for people to know that they can register and get some added features and then when they do, getting them to make that first post is absolutely key - because once they've written something and they've "broken the ice" they are much more likely to come back and respond and get moving through your content.