How to deal with banning and backslash?

dojo

Passionate admin
Abusive members don't have a place in a community. I banned the most active / smartest / coolest member, when I had to, the guy who had 10 times more posts than I did, in my own forums. The guy was a huge sensei (it was an MA forum), who started having an issue that I was "just" a blue belt in real life and not a 1000 Dan or whatever he was. When he started becoming abusive, I banned his black belted butt and then deleted his entire account.

I never gave banning permissions to anyone in all my admin life. I own the place, I decide. Mods were there to move threads to "trouble" forum (a hidden area, where I could review the post and then decide further away). As soon as I got the semi-god out of my community, it was all again roses and rainbows. Even if it meant losing such an active member.

I've been posting in forums for almost 20 years. Was always kind and polite. If not, anyone is free to kick me out in a second. I demand the same from my members. Well, I demand the same from my web design clients, family, friends etc. If I am kind, I expect the same.

PS: no one is irreplaceable, that's my husband's motto. And a good one.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
The ONLY person(s) business it is about a ban is the one you gave the boot to and staff. It's nobody else business as to who is banned, and why, and your job is not to "embarrass" a member (or ex-member). Your job is to cleanly and quietly keep the site running. Advertising bans (and the reasons for them) only will tend to inflame the issue.
The problem is... no matter how professionally you handle it... some "adults" actually have less control than a 5 year old. And you WILL have issues with them. No different than someone banning a customer from a store... some of them just HAVE to push the envelope.

Zero Numbers

Adherent
That's true, but the house is also nothing without its members. Therefore, it's a two way transaction as you have to give them a reason to want to visit your house and hang around. Abusive staff stomping around in their all-powerful moderator and admin jackboots* and boring / little content will just drive users away.

I agree. Especially if things are enforced inconsistently. If people feel that certain people are favored over others, it's not going to give people confidence about things being better.

Num7

Adherent
Clear rules will help you draw a line between what's okay and what's not. Abusive members don't deserve to pollute your community.

As others have stated, if you're consistent in the way you ban offenders, people will know that bans happen for a reason. They'll trust you. That, plus the rules will give you a chance to make things clear for everyone.

Also, don't forget that you own the place. Sure, it's a community that exists because people visit and engage. But as the owner, it's up to you to protect your community from those who desire to harm it. Apply your established rules, and be consistent and confident! :tup:

I try to avoid discussing bans in public. If it does happen, I usually don't mind sharing the reason someone was banned because it's always a good reason. I'm a pretty patient and reasonable guy and people in my community know it. It's not always easy to be consistent, but it pays in the long run.

Stojan Tim

Participant
Abusive staff stomping around in their all-powerful moderator and admin jackboots* and boring / little content will just drive users away.

So very true, I agree 100%.

Have you thought about writing articles on how to run a community, I think it would make a valuable repository of information that other admins could learn a lot from? Of all the admins here, you are the one I have learned the most from about how to treat members. Thank you for this :tup:

FTL

Adherent
So very true, I agree 100%.

Have you thought about writing articles on how to run a community, I think it would make a valuable repository of information that other admins could learn a lot from? Of all the admins here, you are the one I have learned the most from about how to treat members. Thank you for this :tup:
You puzzle me ST, you really do. <confused face> Anyway, thankyou for the complement. I hadn't thought of writing such an article, no, but it's not a bad idea and I'll keep it in mind.

DigNap15

Fan
The ONLY person(s) business it is about a ban is the one you gave the boot to and staff. It's nobody else business as to who is banned, and why, and your job is not to "embarrass" a member (or ex-member). Your job is to cleanly and quietly keep the site running. Advertising bans (and the reasons for them) only will tend to inflame the issue.
The problem is... no matter how professionally you handle it... some "adults" actually have less control than a 5 year old. And you WILL have issues with them. No different than someone banning a customer from a store... some of them just HAVE to push the envelope.
I dont agree
On smaller communities, people want to know why xyz was banned, so that they can see what they must avoid doing.
Many of my members see being banned and on the list as being a badge of honour!

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
people want to know why xyz was banned, so that they can see what they must avoid doing.
Yeah, and in hell people want ice water... doesn't mean they are going to get it. :sneaky:
Most sites have posted rules.... a simple statement of "violation/continuous violation of rules resulted in their ban" suffices. Then refer the questioner to the site rules/TOS.
That's the problem with WAY too much of society now.... they think they deserve to "be in the know". They aren't.