How to deal with banning and backslash?

Pickle

Neophyte
So its seems I messed up, I have created a community that's too invested in my forum and I was just compared to banning somebody as shooting a protestor. Like what the hell? it really shouldn't be serious its a small internet forum. I dont know if I want to keep doing this because this all just stupid and stressful.

FTL

Adherent
It's pretty frustrating to be banned from anywhere, so users will say all sorts of rubbish when this happens to them.

You've got the power, revel in it, don't stress out over it. ;)

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
Pickle, do you have an easy to find and read policy statement that clearly outlines your site's banning policy?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Relabelling the related concepts (youre not 'banned', your membership for participation is just suspended - you can still read all public site content and pm send/reception suspended), doing selective suspensions of features and access to specific sections (not all), and having the displayed shaming sanctions expire.

Legacy forums are troublesome in how they deal with suspensions as their implementation barely changed anything since the vb2 era and hasnt accomodated well current realities imposed defacto by social media and generally sites with select access clearances (like reddit for example, where you can be banned from individual sections without affecting the rest of your membership there).

Either way, with sites pushing for reusable global identities, account-based activities and cross-site reputation as a way for webmasters to identify troublemakers and accounts with 'consistently confirmed used by a human long ago and now too' history, permanent bans are no longer viable as the default implementations for account suspensions.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
So its seems I messed up, I have created a community that's too invested in my forum and I was just compared to banning somebody as shooting a protestor. Like what the hell? it really shouldn't be serious its a small internet forum. I dont know if I want to keep doing this because this all just stupid and stressful.
People don't like to be banned or punished online. If they have an outlet, they will use it to make the community look bad.

I would ignore it until you have to release a statement on it, as in if things within the community start it evolve into something negative.

The statement should be facts (not opinion) and professional.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
People don't like to be banned or punished online.
They really don't and sometimes with good reason. Imagine what it would feel like to be blocked suddenly by a group of real life friends. For many people the friends they make online are just as real as the friends they have away from the Internet so banning an active member needs to be handled with care.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
They really don't and sometimes with good reason. Imagine what it would feel like to be blocked suddenly by a group of real life friends. For many people the friends they make online are just as real as the friends they have away from the Internet so banning an active member needs to be handled with care.
I agree, I do.

I really try to do what I can before taking the banning option. I'm a people person. I don't like to be disliked at all, so it is definitely hard for me to do it.

But if I am forced, then I got to do what I got to do.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
One of our policies is that we do not talk about bannings with any other members, publicly or privately.
I suspect youd reconsider that if a disgruntled banned user starts exploiting your silence to paint the site staff and management as abusive monsters. Any future explanations you published would be weakened by the earlier accusations and distrusted among those who have or had any issue with your leadership.

Policies are only non-exhaustive guidelines, not absolute rules. Even then your compliance to those guidelines is judged by members, not just your main admins or founder/owner. Public opinion turning against your actions or even ethics sometimes dictates painful choices that suit the community rather than the whim of its current leads. What are you gonna do, ban everyone who calls you a tyrant? *

* famous last words before everyone gets banned and start a new community