How to build a Community/Project from scratch

StarBuG

AdSenseExperts.com
StarBuG submitted a new Article:

How to build a Community/Project from scratch

Ok let´s get started.

Let´s say you want to start a new community/project (herein after refered as project) how would you approach this task?

STEP 1: Finding the Main Topic

The most important thing for a successfull new project is the major topic your project will have.
Most likely you already have an idea about what your project will be.
If you don´t have one start thinking about what your interests are.
If you start a project about something that doesn´t realy interests you (let´s say because you have a cool sounding domain about aircrafts but you hate flying :D)
it will most likely don´t work because any project needs leaders that activly participate in the project live and spend quite some energy on building the project and make it a success.

Spend some time thinking about your major topic:
  • Is the major topic interesting enough to build a project around it?
  • Are there any other projects already existing about this topic?
  • If there are allready others, how many?
  • Do I miss anything important on these projects that I could implement in mine or would mine be just a copy/alteration of the other projects?
You need to offer your new members something special that makes them want to be part of your project.

The more "unique" your topic is and the less other communities exists about your major topic the more likely your project will be a success.

Starting a project with no major topic will end up for over 99% in an unsuccessfull atempt.
There are literaly millions of "General Chat Communities" (only a few of them are realy successfull) so why the heck would anyone be interested in joining another new starting project without a major topic? Would you?

STEP 2: The Concept

Most Users who want to start a project have an Idea and are so excited about it that they get on building a website or forum right away.
STOP HERE
Of course you could... but believe me, it is better to make some additional thoughts first.
Sit back and start thinking about what you want to achive.
Make a text file like "Concept.txt" and start making notes.

Things you should think about are:
  • What is my major topic?
  • What are my target users/usergroups?
  • Who are my competitors?
  • What do my competitors offer?
  • What will differ my project from my competitors?
  • What are my goals?
  • What do I want in my project?
    • Do I...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

potter.rct3

Aspirant
Hi StarBuG
Sorry I haven't posted my comment earlier! As this is listed under articles, I was under the impression that comments should not be made here... and I assume that lot of others were also of the same impression !

Your article had been entirely useful to me while starting my gaming community and I have referred it a lot of times :)

I am eagerly waiting for further updates. Keep up the good work!

kissythecutie

Participant
just call me kissythecutie

that was a real insightful article thanks so much to the author...
As Iam reading Iam also writing the focus of my forum and it is really helping me and i mean its really helping me

thanks

mungostar

Neophyte
WOW! This was the thread I was looking for all along. Thank you so much StarBug, you have answered 99% of my questions. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Lolopop

Aspirant
I am just gonna get straight to the point, I need an example php script for a forum.I have a site in progress and I need to add forums to it but I want to make my own forums, I understand that it won't happen over night or anything, but I need an example script because I tried to make one all by my self and it turned out looking like this: ?> Someone please help me because I would really like to get this done.

StarBuG

AdSenseExperts.com
you mean an example script of a forum software?

Just download one of the many open source free available forum softwares like phpbb or smf for example.

But don´t copy the code, it is still protected even though it is open source ;)

Gabriel

Carboyht
It's good. 85% detailed. Lol. But i will refer to it on my upcoming new community. Thanks for the wonderful guide. I'm drooling.

carita

Freezing your screens
One of the best things I've read for a while. Really useful tips! Alot questions that one can think about

Horus

Aspirant
I think that the community would benefit from the head Admin being one of the more active members. It shows initiative and drive, and don't forget that half of the time, the members aren't aware of the amount of work a forum admin does behind the scenes, they only see what is on the front-end. That said, I'd probably also recommend the addition of a sub-topic to denote the fact that you need a lot of spare time too (to both administer the forum and drive it to success).

Great article!