How to be a better Forum Administrator

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Shawn G submitted a new Article:

I have written articles for fun and giggles about how you can be a bad forum admin and even a bad moderator. Well I figured a more professional article about being a better forum administrator was needed, so I figured I would write just that. This article was created to help guide you to become a better forum administrator. Please feel free to reply with your comments after reading this article to tell me what you think of it as well as additional tips and suggestions on becoming a better forum admin.

Know Your Niche

Knowing your forum's niche is very important when trying to make a successful community. Members will likely come to you to ask questions and seek assistance related to the niche. I have seen many forums go up where the forum owner knows absolutely nothing about the topic of their own forum. I often see those forums fail at that and to be honest; I think they get what they deserve. You need to attempt to make a forum to teach rather than make a forum just to learn. You don't have to be a top expert of the niche however, the expert you are, they more likely your community will become successful.

Another big thing about knowing your niche is to ensure your niche knows you! Confused? I simply mean that you should build a reputation for yourself in relation to your niche. Before I opened admin forums, I was an active member on other admin forums and even a staff member on a few of them. I have built somewhat a reputation up for myself and many people recognize me as a forum owner and somewhat of a guru in the forum niches I run. Be sure to make sure that the reputation you build up for yourself is positive. Too much of bad reputation will be a sure thing to make your community fail.

To help expert your niche and build a reputation, you can do many different things. I would suggest joining other related forums and becoming an active member on them. Post topics and replies that deliver quality content to those forums so that others start to recognize you. Use the same nickname or name you plan to be using on your own forum. You should also keep up with the latest trends and advancements of your niche. I personally get about 50 emails a day from various forum software newsletters, SEO marketing news, PHP and MySQL news, and admin forum news and related. I like to read as much as possible and stay on the latest news of the niche forum I run.

Be Active

You are the leader of your forum. You need to make...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMaster_aaf

Aspirant
Great tutorial you go there.. I think it's a well though thread there.. I agree with everything you said, I think being a good admin is one of the most important parts of having a successful forum. So I think with these thoughts you said it will help me become better.. Thanks again for the tutorial.

micah sin

Adherent
I love these, Shawn :) Quite encouraging to a newbie, inexperienced admin such as myself.

Spork_aaf

Participant
I wish more beginning forum owners read this. I've been on many beginning sites and the owner thinks their some piece of hot ****. It's annoying and in the end they get ****ed up big time.

toetapping

Aspirant
Excellent article. I have been an admin for 8 years now and still learning and all that advice is No. 1