How to Advertise Your Site for Free

MGM

vBulletin Guru
MGM submitted a new Article:

How to Advertise Your Site for Free

Who is this Article for?

This article is for anyone and everyone. If you just started a new site, this article will help you to gain members and get active. If you have a large site opened for years already, then this article may help you to find new ways to advertise your site and get even bigger. Basically, if you wish to get your site bigger, then this article will help.

Do note that some of the techniques explored below may take time and patience in not only doing them, but also before seeing any type of gain in membership.

How to Get Started

The best websites on the internet may not be the biggest websites. That is because the owner did a bad job of advertising his site to the public and getting the name out. With the right type of advertising, a website could become huge in a matter of a year.

To start, be sure you entire site is finished. This means design, concept, forums, and plenty of articles. You need tons of articles if you want the advertising any good. All the advertising in the world won’t help you if you don’t have something for the people visiting to read or view. Be absolutely sure everything is perfect (in your opinion and in others) before starting your “advertising spree” (as I call it).

Below I will break each type of advertising in different sections to help you decide which parts to read and which to skip. Let’s get started shall we?

Search Engine Advertising and Optimization

This is by far the best thing you could possibly do to gain members. People search. This is a well known fact. Having your site searchable on the biggest search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and MSN will prove to be the best thing you can possibly do.

However, search engine optimization is a huge topic that could take years of work to get its full potential. Rather than providing all of the information here, I will instead point you to various websites and provide small tips to help you get started.

If you run vBulletin and want to optimize it, then the following thread written by T2DMan will help greatly: http://forum.time2dine.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98. Do note that the optimizations made currently only work for vBulletin 3.0.X. I’m sure T2DMan will port over many of the optimizations to vBulletin 3.5 when he is ready.

Unfortunately, I currently don’t have any information on optimizing other boards. If you have information, please contact me and I will update...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

mystic

Enthusiast
wow this article was great! ahha while reading it one of the ideas given out i had allready planned... the idea about having a store in the forum and one of the first things being sold would be shirts with the forums logo on it. I swear I had that idea and i really haven't seen that done before.

hgudan

Neophyte
I agree, thanks for the knowledge! I know I need all the suggestions I can get with my new site being launched and all. I'll be sure to save this.

CMOBOSS

All About Da-Cookies.
mind if i post this in my JCS section on my forums? as a info for my staff? Will give credit where it is due obviously...

Lyte

Dazed and Confused
Howdy!

I'm unclear about this "Apache’s mod_rewite" thang. Does this do the same thing (more or less) as the VBSEO hack that runs $150.00?

Also, I'm trying set it to work on my forum but I'm at a loss. I'm looking at the tutorial but honestly, it's all greek to me. Any advise? :)

Thanks!

Lyte

Last edited:

Nneel

Enthusiast
surely a good article..
we are using vbSeo v.3 RC4 with vb3.6.1
can u describe a bit abt optimization?

JBS

Participant
Thanks

Very nice article...I just discovered this site and my forum has already started to grow.

hiphopave.net

Participant
As someone who has tried all the above mention, I would highly reccomend using link affiliation and directory submission for those who are on a tight budget.

blackjack

Enthusiast
A great read thanks!
the link for the meta tag info just opened my eyes to something i was totally unaware of!! i have recently changed software and my meta tags and keywords were all for the software and not my site!!!!
that has been solved, thankfully it didnt have an adverse affect with SE but hopefully now i may see an improvement! lol!

wouterkloos

Neophyte
Thanks! The part on search engine friendly URLs got me thinking. I've implemented it now! Great tip!