How much should MyBB custom themes sell for

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
That would all depend on the quality. Anywhere from a few dollars to a few hundred.

JadeBlade

Adherent
In most cases though that some people have used MyBB because of the free price tag, so I can't see anything over $75 that's not custom made selling well.

Liam

Developer
Depends on how much you think it's actual worth is, assuming you're the author. I could slap a re-color of the default theme and release it as a free download, or I could actually put effort into going responsive, integration of various UI helpers in the form of JS tooltips or validations, etc. and release it as $50-ish. Anything above $75 would be overpriced though.

OptimusVault

Participant
I reckon around $20, $30 if the author is willing to work with the client.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
For a totally custom theme from scratch, you're looking over $100. I've had a few done by various people (including Audentio) and have paid $300 for some with high levels of customisation.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Chenyneh Kween ⚧
$50 - $75 - $100 for a complete custom theme????
Am I reading these replies and mistranslating them in my brain? Are you guys smoking crack or do you just not value a designers' time, effort and creativity??? :cautious:

J.

Liam

Developer
Am I reading these replies and mistranslating them in my brain? Are you guys smoking crack or do you just not value a designers' time, effort and creativity??? :cautious:

J.
My reply was for a pre-made theme :p Of course a custom design would be waaaaaaaay more than that lol

PoetJC

My reply was for a pre-made theme :p Of course a custom design would be waaaaaaaay more than that lol
Ah okay. Yeah - for a premade $50 sounds fine. Probably even a bit expensive tbh.
But when you think about creating a premade theme and selling it for $50 --- 10 people purchase it - you've made $500 - which is a decent medium price for a complete custom theme. 20 people purchase it and you've made $1000 ..... And that will have been well worth your time & creativity. So you can see my concern about a complete custom theme going for $50-$100 --- It'd generally not be worth the designers' time.

However, CUSTOMIZING a premade theme for $100 might be more appropriate, depending on the amount of customization of course.
Anyway - thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now :p

J.

Network

Aspirant
Pre-made themes should be offered at around $15-$15 and custom themes for $100+.

Alycium

Aspirant
Depending on the quality. I personally would be willing to spend up to $150+ for a well made theme.

Gamesstop

PrismBB - Free & Premium MyBB Themes

J.
Best reply I've ever read. XD

DonCoryon

Aspirant
Back in my theming days I would charge around $300 for modified Drupal themes. I charged $100 an hour. I made some free templates and put them up on Drupal's site and got clients that way.

PoetJC

$100 an hour? And you got many clients charging that price?
Must be nice :D

J.

FamousTAZ

Aspirant
I do them for $20 with full customer support and 1 week support with the theme as well as installation. I do not do amazingly advanced themes but I do nice clean custom themes.

Mount Zion

Aspirant
If it's exclusive use, maybe $100-200 depending on time placed on the project. If it's a public theme for anyone to download provided they pay a fee, around $20 seems fair.

Okoji

Participant
It depends. I feel it should not be more than $50 I might be very wrong!

Senpie

Aspirant
$50 or less, depending if any features specifically are implemented into the theme.

PinoyFused

Aspirant
I knew one site that sales $15 and its very fine and responsive.

PS: its on sale now for $10. http://netpen.info just find the "premium" button in menu.

They also have free theme that can compete to the latest premium themes these days.

I'm using it now. the premium one. ^_^

Jason76

Aspirant
If it's exclusive use, maybe $100-200 depending on time placed on the project. If it's a public theme for anyone to download provided they pay a fee, around $20 seems fair.
A totally custom theme would of course be a lot. But a custom theme that would be resold to many people would be more than 20. I think around 100 would be fair. I would also say this should be the price for other forum software also like XenForo or phpBB.