How many posts per thread page?

GoingRight

Enthusiast
XF comes with 20 as a default but I'm seeing many sites using more. We have always used 20. 40 posts per thread page looks common among other sites. Is there some thought that SEO is improved by having more content per page? What do you think is best?

GoingRight

Enthusiast
Could it negatively impact search indexing to change the number of posts per page on an established site?

Chris

Administrator
Could it negatively impact search indexing to change the number of posts per page on an established site?
It could create broken links if you only have 2 pages now when you had 4 pages previously. It really depends on how your established forum changes.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
It could create broken links if you only have 2 pages now when you had 4 pages previously. It really depends on how your established forum changes.

That would be old threads. New threads wouldn't be affected by that.

It could be positive for SEO, as it adds more keywords to each page.

CyberJoe

Enthusiast
XF comes with 20 as a default but I'm seeing many sites using more. We have always used 20. 40 posts per thread page looks common among other sites. Is there some thought that SEO is improved by having more content per page? What do you think is best?

When I changed from VB3 to VB4 I saw a massive drop in revenue, and eventually worked out it was due to how the page loading with ajax worked, it hit me really hard. I have now set it to 20 posts per page, but each member can change it individually. You need to work out the balance between revenue and user experience. (NEVER use revenue as a decision for anything, I have always used user experience, and revenue will follow.)