How many ads, which size and which place?

yeswecan

Participant
Hi,

I want to monetize my forums to cover the costs. Obviously Google Adsense is next to affiliate links and direct ads the most common choice.

Since more and more users visit the forums with smartphones, I wonder what the best locations for ads are, which size should I have to use to avoid getting the users angry and how many ads at all on one page?

I am using Xenforo software and do plan to buy the siropu ads manager (probably the light version) for this to make it easier for me.

At the moment I do think that I do not want to have more than 2-3 ads. All of them as rotating ads to make it not too boring for the users and to maximize income. Personally I prefer small ads, but maybe they do not get clicked? Do I need really huge blinking ads to generate maximum profits?

And is it possible to have a rotation ad mixed with ads by Google and direct ads or does Google not allow this?

I apprecaite all kind of user experience/reactions and ideas/wisdom how you managed it to have the best compromise and maximum income.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
part of this is dependent on how much traffic you have. If your getting 100 visits a day it probably wont be worthwhile to place any ads.

woody

eternal noobie
I would use AdSense Reponsive, in three locations:

1> Container breadcrumb (top): Below (this will hit ALL forum pages below the Navbar)
2> First unread post (siropu ads manager position)
3> Thread view: Below message list (ends up just above the quick-reply box)

#2 and #3 are excellent for registered users, since those two positions are where there eyes are most likely focused. #1 is at the Nabvar, since visitors from search end up at the top of the page.

edit: NOBODY sells ads based on clicks. It's CPM....impressions....visibility is critical, and you want users to "remember" the ad and the brand to purchase, not necessarily clicking the banner.

yeswecan

Participant
Do you think that I should use more than 3 location for ads?

What about ad size? Which format/size do you recommend?

woody

eternal noobie
Quantity is your decision, not mine.

I answered the size question already.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
View attachment 53913

Daily at around 2.800 visitors.
Don't rely on those stats, they go by IP uniques. Depending on the site, easily 40-80% of all "vistors" are actually bots, many of them using headless browsers. Raw data is great, but Google Analytics tends to give you a much better picture of the true number of users.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator

1> Container breadcrumb (top): Below (this will hit ALL forum pages below the Navbar)
2> First unread post (siropu ads manager position)
3> Thread view: Below message list (ends up just above the quick-reply box)

#2 and #3 are excellent for registered users, since those two positions are where there eyes are most likely focused. #1 is at the Nabvar, since visitors from search end up at the top of the page.

edit: NOBODY sells ads based on clicks. It's CPM....impressions....visibility is critical, and you want users to "remember" the ad and the brand to purchase, not necessarily clicking the banner.
I concur ---

yeswecan

Participant
What about direct ads without adsense. If the company has no responsive ads. Are there any recommendations for sizes, which work well without beeing too disturbing?

woody

eternal noobie
What about direct ads without adsense. If the company has no responsive ads. Are there any recommendations for sizes, which work well without beeing too disturbing?
Companies will always furnish specific ad sizes. My ad packages includes two for desktop and two for mobile:
970x90
728x90
300x250
320x50

KimmiKat

Adherent
One thing to consider is many use ad-block on their browsers, so the ads may not get shown. Probably different story though if viewed on a phone.

When I had my mboard I did have a single ad-banner on top below the header image.

Horton

Aspirant
You need a lot of traffic to make a penny from Ad Sense and Ad blockers are brutal. I sell banners directly to the advertisers and do not use Google to serve them so ad blockers do not impact me. Ad sales can be VERY hard but I think the return is higher. Adding up all my advertisers I make roughly $00.01 per page view.

I use standard size banners that fit the design of my page. As long as you do not disrupt the look and feel of the page you can add as many banners as you want.

KimmiKat

Adherent
And we can blame the ad networks for the rise of ad blockers, especially after more Flash ads and others the sneak downloads. I'm on a few sites that sell their own banners and are simple ones and those are on a white list.

You need a lot of traffic to make a penny from Ad Sense and Ad blockers are brutal. I sell banners directly to the advertisers and do not use Google to serve them so ad blockers do not impact me. Ad sales can be VERY hard but I think the return is higher. Adding up all my advertisers I make roughly $00.01 per page view.

I use standard size banners that fit the design of my page. As long as you do not disrupt the look and feel of the page you can add as many banners as you want.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I use banner ads for my social site. Two in the header, 3 in various places in the feed, and two in the footer. :)