How important is a sitemap?

Jon123456

Enthusiast
I have a 20 year old vBulletin forum, but it doesn't have a sitemap. Is that important, or does Google's tech negate the need for that now?

Kyrie

Fan
Firstly here's some good reading: https://blog.spotibo.com/sitemap-guide/

But I'll point out some key-facts I've read:

A sitemap is for you, if:

• You have a large website:
    A website with 100 pages isn’t large. Even a website with 1,000 pages is still pretty small, and a sitemap isn’t really necessary. For bigger sites, however, you should definitely consider it. Do you have one million pages? Then you need a sitemap.

• You have a new site:
    A sitemap helps crawlers to find a brand new website just after launch and to index the new pages much faster.

• You change your website’s content frequently

• You need to index your fresh content very fast:
    A sitemap helps to accelerate the indexation of newly added pages after adding them to the sitemap, especially, when your site is in Google News.

You'll also want to consider what type of community it is, and if indexing will be a benefit. A good example would be a programming forum you might want each thread to show up via google results or in the very least a category... If it were a roleplaying forum, maybe not so much.

What type should you use?
table.png

Jon123456

Enthusiast
Thanks for that. I never even knew there were different types of sitemap.

martin smith

Participant
Sitemaps are important for SEO because they make it easier for Google to find your site's pages this is important because Google ranks web PAGES, not just websites There is no downside of having an Sitemap and having one can improve your SEO, a sitemap on our website and we include a short description as part of each section to inform the user as to what the page is about We also use our sitemap for people who find a page that no longer exists on the website

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Very.

I wish there was a JSON sitemap format, as XML is a bit on the bulky side. It helps search engines to find pages and to avoid hitting pages too much (or to assume it isn't updated when it has been and to not crawl it).