How do you warn and put members on hold etc

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Hi Guys
My first forum has been upand running for 2 weeks now
I'ts been going really well 600 members,
It's a general political / opinions type forum, so it can get a bit heated.
Then you get some stirrers come along and are rude and agrresive.

What are some good techniques?
Mine is a Xenforo forum, and I can't see anyway of putting them on hold for a few days to calm down.

Panupat

Habitué
1 of the forum I moderate has a on-hold group which give them access to an on-hold subforum. They cannot post/reply while in this group. The team would create a thread specific for that member to give them chance to explain and justify their actions. Failing to do so they will lose all their permission on the site.

CyberJoe

Enthusiast
In VB I use the infraction system very successfully. Each infraction has points allocated, when the total points reaches a threshold the member is automatically blocked for 7 days.

haqzore

Devotee
On my XF site, we have 2 warnings in place. Below are the notifications sent to members when they get the warning.
It works well because it sets a clear path forward/expectation of the impact of the warning.

Title: Warning: Inappropriate Content

Your message <title> contains inappropriate content:
<content>

Please don't post content of this nature on our community. Your message may have been removed or altered.

Your access can be limited based on warnings like this:
  • Inappropriate Content warnings result in *5* points that expire in *3 months*.
  • Users are banned at *15* points (or higher).
  • Bans resulting from points with expiration are lifted after that expiration.
If the reason for this warning is unclear, reach out for clarification.

Title: Warning: Personal Attack

Your actions in message <title> aren't appropriate:
<content>

Abusive, overly aggressive or threatening messages directed at a person or people don't foster the type of community we want at the <site name>. The message may have been edited or removed.

Your access can be limited based on warnings like this:
  • Personal Attack warnings (like this) result in *5* points that *do not* expire.
  • Users are banned at *15* points (or higher).
  • Bans resulting from points with expiration are lifted after that expiration.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
haqzore 's warning system, above, is a good way to handle those kinds of members, followed by moving them into a member group with either no posting ability or only after moderation.

Most importantly, don't overthink it. Setting up your warning and penalty system the way you want can take a bit of time. In the mean time, you need to deal with disruptive members straight away, especially since your forum is just starting out. The longer you let them be, the more damage they can do to your community, and the more likely others will follow their lead. I would send them a terse PM, telling them to straighten out. If they don't, a temporary ban will prevent further disruptions.

Ingenious

Fan
You can also ban members from individual threads with Xenforo if you just want them to take a break from a particular discussion.

Adding a usergroup whereby a member requires all posts to be moderated is another useful tactic - then you can screen a member's posts for a while by adding them to this group.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Some great ideas thanks
Keep them coming
How does the Ban on Xenfor work
What do they see and for how is it
Would I have to remember to un-ban them?

Ingenious

Fan
You can ban indefinitely or for a specific time. You can ban using options from various areas like the mod controls of the user profile or the admin area. They will see a message telling them the account is banned, with an optional reason (which you fill in if you want them to see this). You can change the default ban message in the phrases area of the admin panel - I changed mine to something less confrontational to a more generic "This account has been suspended" and you may want to include links in that phrase to help pages on banning or the forum rules.

If you want mods/staff to have ban access but don't want to give them full admin access, then set up warning levels that put the user in the ban group over a certain threshold of points, then mods can ban/unban by issuing and removing warning points. On mine I have a threshold that adds them to "posts moderated", another for account open but no posting rights at all and finally a full ban.

This is based on my 1.5 site, 2.1 may be different.

TheChiro

Devotee
I've set up my infraction system to include vacations and to make it so there is little to no bias. We've set up multiple infraction categories based on 1st and 2nd warnings for each of the groups of infractions. Each having a specific point count. After 10 points, 1 week vacation. 20 points, 2 week vacation. 30 points, 1 month. 40 points, "permaban". I put that in quotes bc we let the infractions die off after 3 years. We've been around for a while so we have seen people change after a couple years and these users wanted to come back. It's worked well for us. Those that were banned for 3 years and have come back, they've been upstanding members.

Dryline

Aspirant
You can create a user group called “Restricted“ and work through the permissions to peel away those rights you don’t want them to have. You can also discourage them by username or IP address if you just want to frustrate them and hope they go away. Setting their posts to go to the Moderator Queue makes sure they don’t go public until they’ve been reviewed and approved. I would also rely on the XF 2 User Manual which can be found here https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/nodes-forums/ and will walk you through each of these methods for reigning in the troublemakers.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
If I use the Xenforo Bannign system
What will the other members see on the fourm
How will the members post show

Ingenious

Fan
If you just ban (but don't delete the member) then posts will remain and they will still show as the author, the username is clickable to the member card but the full member profile is "unavailable". If you delete an account then posts remain and they show as the author but the username is no longer clickable - unless you chose the option to remove their name from historic posts and randomise the username (say under a GRDP request).

If it's a new member and you "spam clean" it then posts will be removed if you want too.