How do you refer to your bulletin board?

What do you call your bulletin board?

• Forum

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Community

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Board

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else...(post in the comments)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Admin

TLChris

Administrator
Do you refer to your site as a community, forum or something else?

Karll

Adherent
It depends on the context. I prefer 'forum' or even 'Internet forum', but if I'm also talking about forums within the forum (i.e. sub-forums), then I might use 'board' instead in an effort to avoid confusion.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Community.

Karll

Adherent
Community.

Some good points there, but to me 'community' just sounds too grandiose and isn't accurate anyway - surely the community are the people who inhabit the forum/board/thing that you run, not the software that hosts them. 'Community platform' would be more accurate, but that's a bit long.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
In general, we use the term "community", but not in the context of forums implemented in software.
It sounds a lot more welcoming and inclusive and doesnt limit the community's existence to a single website or forum's - there's also the members of the community that never registered to the forums, like writers, content creators, researchers, livestreamers and youtubers.

I shudder at the memory of some referring to their forums a "property" :eek: . From there it's a small step to start calling members cattle.

R0binHood

Habitué
One thing I've noticed the last couple of years with a lot of 'online community' users, is that in some of the big facebook groups I'm a member of, when we meet in person, the facebook group is nearly always referred to as 'The Forum' by members. There's no reference to facebook, it's assumed your a group member and you can find info on 'The forum' or post the video to 'the forum', when it's really the facebook group.

DigNap15

Adherent
One thing I've noticed the last couple of years with a lot of 'online community' users, is that in some of the big facebook groups I'm a member of, when we meet in person, the facebook group is nearly always referred to as 'The Forum' by members. There's no reference to facebook, it's assumed your a group member and you can find info on 'The forum' or post the video to 'the forum', when it's really the facebook group.
If that is true, then they need to learn English
These are Forums, Facebook has Groups!