How do you promote tech forums?

overcast

Adherent
So let's say I have tech forums specific to some subniche in tech. And the thing about it is that there is small attention span for the search engine users in this niche.

How do you get people to stay around and be part of such forums?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Focus on getting visitors first, then regular visitors as it is those who will eventually populate your forum.
Dedicating your landing page to a curated frontpage of industry news works for humble beginnings since you need a lot of discussion starters, have fdw members but still need to reach a large audience.

zappaDPJ

In my view your forum needs to become an authority for the tech. If it's good enough you might even get representatives from the manufacturers/service providers contributing.

How you get to that point is difficult, it took me 15 years and a lot of effort to ensure the content was good enough. I never consciously promoted the forum, I have no interest whatsoever in SEO. Well written, authoritative content seems to do the job for me.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Absolutely correct. There are lots of self-proclaimed tech sites out there demonstrating little more knowledge than the average enthusiast who visits them. The stand outs are the ones that actually have demonstrated expertise in that topic.

Joel R

Habitué
Focus on getting visitors first, then regular visitors as it is those who will eventually populate your forum.
I agree with zappaDPJ more than your suggestion, since it encapsulates the goal more distinctly of content first.

It's no longer "build a new forum, and the members will come." The new mantra is, "publish best in class content, and members will come." If you're a new independent community, you need to focus on content first.

This is why I think forum-only platforms are getting judged as lower and lower value but Google. UGC content is messy, often incorrect, and not vetted. You really need authoritative, expert content to anchor your community, then add on forums to the side.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
It depends on what the niche is. If I was running a forum for Go Programmers, for instance, I would probably go around Gopher Discord, Gopher Slack, maybe Reddit, etc.

overcast

Adherent
How you get to that point is difficult, it took me 15 years and a lot of effort to ensure the content was good enough. I never consciously promoted the forum, I have no interest whatsoever in SEO. Well written, authoritative content seems to do the job for me.
Pretty much my approach right now. Just feels frustrated when things don't tick on Google analytics.

Jura

Devotee
One tech forum that I won't bother mentioning was for people that repair computers or own repair companies. They made a toolkit of things they selected and you download to put onto a flash/USB-drive to take with you. It was linkbait.

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Ask few STUPID QUESTIONS TO YOURSELF, SINCE ITS PRESENTED HERE VARIOUS WAYS:

1. Why your content reaches on top ? (apple released 20.x, you copy/paste and present on your site)
Apple already presented these data to wold ? What new you are doing here ?

2. You copy/paste exclusive features on your website (where you don't even read the entire ups/downs etc. in manual and simply copy/paste down on your website. What new you are doing here ?

3. AGREE TO YOURSELF HONESTLY WITH 50+ CONTENT WRITERS HERE: What new you are doing here ?

THERE ARE THINGS TO CONSIDER:::
My main work only used to be teach them how to right content.

A Small premises of 100 SQ. FT. OF OFFICE. where we worked like 24/7

We acheecived fortune and adbuyers started visiting us, but we trusted one..
(but biggest mistake to only trust only 1)

Some mess happene, which led to 60+ team had massive fall..

We were still invited to major business events across country.
BRANDS HAVE STILL BEEN INCREASED LIKE NOWHERe till day.

Only questions no personal mess please.

YOU NEED FRESH CONTENT FOR TECH SITES/FORUMS/GRAMMARS/IRC/ETC. TO GROW.
RESEARCH IS BEST PLATFORM...
I LEARN FROM MY ADMINZONE FOREFATHERS, WHO HELPED AND JOINED BEFORE ME...

SPECIALLY..... ;)

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
So let's say I have tech forums specific to some subniche in tech. And the thing about it is that there is small attention span for the search engine users in this niche.

How do you get people to stay around and be part of such forums?

If you can put up content or a "product" that people would come to your forum for you'll get your clicks and revenue.
Guides regarding tech for fixing things, reviews, videos... something for readers to chose your forum to go to over others
:)

gogo

overcast

Adherent
If you can put up content or a "product" that people would come to your forum for you'll get your clicks and revenue.
Guides regarding tech for fixing things, reviews, videos... something for readers to chose your forum to go to over others
:)
gogo
Good point. A specific product niche or guide based niche brings traffic then?