How do you handle a member who asks to be deleted?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.13.59 PM.png

How do you handle a member who asks to be deleted?

haqzore

Devotee
I disable their ability to login.

Change their password & email.

Then rename the account to "User6" or whatever # is next in line.

Leaf_Green

Enthusiast
I haven't had to deal with this yet so I hadn't put much thought into it. I get the feeling a lot of users wouldn't be happy about simple renaming. They'd probably want all of their content deleting which is the main problem.

I've seen users take the initiative (not on my own forum), possibly worrying they'll lose the chance to remove that information and manually delete everything from every post possible.

When something like this happens it can completely destroy context in many threads. Typical countermeasure would be stricter editing permissions.

Noble

Participant
So if the user requests that all of their posts be deleted to we have to?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
So if the user requests that all of their posts be deleted to we have to?
That might depend on where they live, where your server resides and whether you want to adhere the legislation appropriate to the relevant geographic locations.

I resolve all requests in accordance with GDPR as set down by the UK's Data Protection Act 2018. In short I inform the user of their rights under the act, agree to remove PII that is detailed and requested, and anonymize the account. I do not delete posts or other data that doesn't contain PII nor do I delete IPs because I am not at this time required to.

It's worth reiterating that other regions outside of the UK may have differing requirements.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Disable his membership. Want back in, just contact an admin and verify your identity.
The most common reason for such requests used to be that people had poor selfcontrol and needed to focus more on real life (school, work, family...).

Joel R

Fan
I use an Account Deletion app from the Marketplace which puts the member (and his request) into a queue for review.

IPS gives you the option to rename the account into a generic Guest account or a more specific Guest Username account, which can be helpful in tracing back the account it the user wants to be reinstated.

Before you delete the account though, I think it's meimportant to understand why users want to delete their account. A lot of times I've discovered it's frustration at another aspect of the site like notifications, which they can learn to adjust.

Here's a guest blog article I wrote about the Contact Form, which applies to account deletion requests:
https://invisioncommunity.com/news/community-management/responding-to-the-contact-form-r1164/

cheat_master30

Generally I disable their membership/account, though I guess I'd delete the profile outright if requested to. Doesn't really matter too much compared to the post content.

But I'd never remove anyone's content on request. If you post a topic and others reply to it, you don't get a right to delete everyone else's work just because you want your own stuff gone. A community is a community, not a broadcast medium.