How do you copy a web-hosts back up to your own hard drive?

DigNap15

Habitué
How do you copy a web-hosts back up to your own hard drive?
And if you do, it.
How often do you do it, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

Nabix

By backup I assume you mean all your files and database correct? What control panel are you using (cPanel, Webmin, Plesk, etc)...

My webhost preforms daily backups for me. I myself preform them once a week. Before that, I never made them. I had one bad experience and that was enough to get me started taking backups. Especially as a forum admin. I could only imagine loosing years and years of work in a single day...

DigNap15

Habitué
I'm with SiteGround.
They have their own verison of CPanel
Yes, weekly sounds good.
I'll check it out and see if there is an option.
I just did a manual backup.
But I want it on my own hard drive as well!

Nabix

DigNap15 I assume they are just using a theme for cPanel they created. So, should be a option in your MySQL area to download your database backups. In the backup section there is an option to download an entire site backup including databases. unless SiteGround has diabled these options. I've never used them. I haven't used cPanel in a good minute or shared hosting. To many constraints.

DigNap15

Habitué
DigNap15 I assume they are just using a theme for cPanel they created. So, should be a option in your MySQL area to download your database backups. In the backup section there is an option to download an entire site backup including databases. unless SiteGround has diabled these options. I've never used them. I haven't used cPanel in a good minute or shared hosting. To many constraints.

Thanks for that
I've heard that C panel put their prices up.
Siteground say they created their own version of it, which they say is better, as it they can add features they want.
I have no idea.

But I'll take a look at what you said.

Nabix

Hmm maybe something like zPanel? All well, either way if they made theirs close to cPanels then there should be a option like that somewhere in control panel. If not, then I would switch hosts, because that would be really shady to not give your users an option to backup their data lol

Paul M

Super Moderator
My Database is backed up daily to S3 storage.

The files are backed up to S3 as well, but not daily, only when they are updated.

DigNap15

Habitué
Hmm maybe something like zPanel? All well, either way if they made theirs close to cPanels then there should be a option like that somewhere in control panel. If not, then I would switch hosts, because that would be really shady to not give your users an option to backup their data lol
I'm having a look now, but cant see an option to do that.
yes I really want my data on my own hard drive.
So I'll flick them a support ticket

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
I have a NAS server at home so the daily backup is uploaded to the Server. After 14 days the first is deleted, so i can always go back 14 days.

Study Force

Enthusiast
Backups are created automatically during the morning hours - one that saves to my server, and a second onto a remote server. Manual backups to my home computer are conducted once a month. I have a recurring event notification scheduled on my phone so that I don't forget.

Surprisingly, I underestimated how many people also did this as well

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Usually a zip folder of the website as a backup is downloaded from my host.

Hostboard

Enthusiast
We wrote a plugin system that piggy backs on Paul M's vBulletin database backup in that it also back ups all the files into a single TAR. These files along with the database TAR are store in a non-public folder. Then our script uploads it to my OneDrive account. These then are moved to my private NAS as time permits.

Eventually now that I am on a private dedicated server these plugins will be server based scripts running on CRON. We are trying to reduce the number of plugins by merging some into our core plugin (actively looking for developers) and or moving them to server driven routines.

overcast

Adherent
I think cpanel also has an option to download tar file for limited space or size.

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
there are some services like this if you look around. Like backupsy or .backupspider.com or veerotech.net/storage.

I have not used any of these but it might be an option to look at.

forumowner

Aspirant
using DD lol, sometimes rsync

my forum is low traffic enough I just copy the entire root onto a virtual machine at home and can play with it offline
I also upload forum backups from the database to google drive

Also how do I get permission to post in

Hostboard

Enthusiast
Update: Backups are now being done at the server level of both files and DB and I have removed the vBulletin plugins that were doing this prior. Next is copying them up to my OneDrive account daily after the backups have completed. I have OneDrive on my PC and sync to a mapped drive on my NAS allowing me to have multiple copies of my backups.

martin smith

Enthusiast
The "Backup" icon. Select "Generate Download a Full Backup". Select "Home Directory" in "Backup Destination" and enter your email address, before clicking the "Generate Backup" button. You'll receive an email when the backup is ready.