How do I set up two domain names to one website?

DigNap15

Fan
Hello
I have two domain names
One is abcd.com the other is abcd.co.nz

At present only the .com one works
What do I have to do to allow people to seach for abcd.co.nz and be taken to abcd.com

FTL

Adherent
You can set up a redirect either at your domain registrar, eg Namecheap, or on your web server.

I tell you what's even more fun: two domains pointing to the same physical website and working independently! I had this for a short while when transitioning from the old domain to the new one. It looked odd, but it worked perfectly, even with SSL certs in place.

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
FTL's suggestion is perfect; I do the same. Also interesting point from FTL, two "point" two domains to the same physical website.

I have main .com's and redirect similar names to the main name, in case someone couldn't remember the exact name of the website, I picked some back up domain names to help. (i.e. Friends---->Pals).

Reactions: FTL

HoraceC

Neophyte
If you are moving the website then a permanent 301 redirect would be best. This will inform search engines that the site has moved and ensure that any existing users browsers update.

Please note .com.nz domain will be treated as a redirect and not carry the authority of the hosted (.com) website.

DigNap15

Fan
Thanks for the info.
I just want to have my main website with the .com suffix and then a .co.nz suffix incase people search for this, that will get re-driected to the dot com site.
I have already paid for the dot co.nz domain name to stop anyone else grabbing it.
But I have not used it as yet
I will give it a go,

ibaker

Enthusiast
I was told not to do this, I was looking at .com as my main site and .com.au as a secondary domain that pointed to the .com. the reason was something to do with Google search penalising you for dual content etc. I don't know if that is still a problem today but I think would be worth checking if there is any detrimental impacts with Google...just a thought in case it helps

DigNap15

Fan
I was told not to do this, I was looking at .com as my main site and .com.au as a secondary domain that pointed to the .com. the reason was something to do with Google search penalising you for dual content etc. I don't know if that is still a problem today but I think would be worth checking if there is any detrimental impacts with Google...just a thought in case it helps
Yes there are always fishhooks to everything.
I heard that too

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I just want to have my main website with the .com suffix and then a .co.nz suffix incase people search for this, that will get re-driected to the dot com site.
Just curious. Why wouldn't you do it the other way around, redirecting .com to .co.nz, since your site is primarily regional? I have both the com and ca for my domain, with the .ca as the primary.

DigNap15

Fan
Just curious. Why wouldn't you do it the other way around, redirecting .com to .co.nz, since your site is primarily regional? I have both the com and ca for my domain, with the .ca as the primary.
Yes, just about all of my members are from NZ, but when I set it up I had reasons to stay away from .co.nz (and I still do)