How do I prove someone is lying about their site being Hacked

KC Riley

Neophyte
bizarre claims like claiming their CPU was damaged in the attack. Which is pretty unlikely given most web hosts would never allow a server in their network to overheat.
- They also claimed their site came back online damaged. Most web hosts would never allow a dedicated server compromised by a DDOS attack o online.

They were using Host For Geeks at the time they claimed their site was taken down by a DDOS attack. Host 4 Geeks is an award winning internationally recognized Cyber Security company that specializes in DDOS attack mitigation. These guys perform Network hardening for e-commerce clients around the world. This one of the top Data Centre and Hosting companies in the US with a state of the art facility.

How can I go about proving these guys are lying about being hacked. Their story is divorced from reality.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
It's not entirely impossible, although highly improbable for the CPU to be physically damaged, unless we're talking other sorts of damage like an adversary breaking in and somehow flashing the microcode. It depends on what they mean like this, people can often be very bad at explaining things.

I don't see why you think someone is lying for claiming that the site came back damaged or that the web host allowed this to happen, even if a DDoS attack did occur. It is highly probable that the DDoS attack was accompanied by someone breaking into the server. Sometimes, people use these as smoke-screens for what they're really doing in the background.

As for saying something is impossibly simply because the company is accredited, we could say the same thing about Equifax and Sony. Generally speaking, I would live them to their own devices, if they think that is what happened, then it's not anyone else's business, other than maybe the host facing the allegations.

KC Riley

Neophyte
A web hosting company like Host 4 Geeks would likely force the owner to bring the server back online from a back-up copy of the site to protect the rest of the Network. I can’t imagine any scenario where they would allow a comprised server back on to the Network after discovering it was breached.

It’s really bad idea to allow a hacked server to come back online. You’re risking a virus impacting another part of the Network and you’re risking viruses/ransomware etc...being passed on to anyone visiting a hacked site.

I’ve dealt with real situations where an e-commerce client have been hit by a DDOS attack and the Host Provider never allowed the breached server to come back online.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I’ve dealt with real situations where an e-commerce client have been hit by a DDOS attack and the Host Provider never allowed the breached server to come back online.
A DDoS attack is not a breach, it is simply overloading the pipe with so much traffic that there isn't any capacity to serve legitimate traffic. The reason they take them offline is because the attack could risk the connections of all the other sites in their data-center by spreading to them.

You can see it as blocking a road up with cars. The road does not cease to exist or become damaged. Neither does the destination, but legitimate users can't get there regardless.

To get phyical damage, you would either need something separate or you would need to overheat something from the large number of requests or a bunch of compute intensive tasks or something. Modern CPUs are generally designed such that that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

KC Riley

Neophyte
The
A DDoS attack is not a breach, it is simply overloading the pipe with so much traffic that there isn't any capacity to serve legitimate traffic. The reason they take them offline is because the attack could risk the connections of all the other sites in their data-center by spreading to them.

You can see it as blocking a road up with cars. The road does not cease to exist or become damaged. Neither does the destination, but legitimate users can't get there regardless.

To get phyical damage, you would either need something separate or you would need to overheat something from the large number of requests or a bunch of compute intensive tasks or something. Modern CPUs are generally designed such that that doesn't happen.

These guys are running a 10 year-old barebones VBulletin 4.2 App. That’s the only app they’re running.

They’re not running any kinds of apps that would ever stress test a modern Intel/AMD CPU.

I’m wondering how much I would accomplish by reaching out to Host 4 Geeks to find out what happened. Will the Host provider be willing to cooperate without having to involve law enforcement in this case?

pierce

Habitué
I wouldn't tell you anything if it was my data centre.

As the usual story goes "we don't comment on specific cases" but in the event of X we do y(you might get that part)

KC Riley

Neophyte
I wouldn't tell you anything if it was my data centre.

As the usual story goes "we don't comment on specific cases" but in the event of X we do y(you might get that part)

I believe I have to accept that Law Enforcement would be the only one who could subpoena that information.