How do I get google to reindex my website?

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I just checked site:www.themichigandebate.com and it goes to a lot of 404 pages because I removed the downriver portion of the website. How do I get google to reindex my website? And how long does it take?

Basically, it's an XML format 'map' of your forum that you submit to a search engine. It means the search engine will index all your pages.

cpvr

Tazmanian Master
I just checked site:www.themichigandebate.com and it goes to a lot of 404 pages because I removed the downriver portion of the website. How do I get google to reindex my website? And how long does it take?
Did you set up a 301 redirect for your old site? 301 redirects send everyone to your new pages - and tell the search engines that they pages have been moved.

devTastic

Aspirant
Basically, it's an XML format 'map' of your forum that you submit to a search engine. It means the search engine will index all your pages.
That's a good tip - although I don't think it guarantees that every one of your pages will be indexed, it does help the search engine to at least know about the pages and navigate to them (just in case you have pages that are not linked to by any other pages on your site).

Peetr

Aspirant
Bookmarking the site somewhere like Delicious or Digg should help. These sites are spidered countless times per day after all.

nuper17

Aspirant
Bookmarking the site somewhere like Delicious or Digg should help. These sites are spidered countless times per day after all.
yes this is the easiest way for your site to get re-indexed by Google. Submitting your site to google submit page will take you weeks or even months.

Sanjana

Aspirant
To re-indexing by Google regularly update the site content like once in month is sufficient. and wait for few weeks. You can also share your page on different social networking sites.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
You don't need to re-submit. :) Google drops the URL when the site returns the error. It can take anywhere from a few hours up-to two months.

jeja7676

Aspirant
you should resubmit your sitemap to google webmasters tool, and make necessary 301 redirects in .htaccess if needed. Regarding those 404, you can't do much about them. Depending on your site SERP, and crawling frequency, the site will be re-indexed sooner or later.

Jenny11

Neophyte
To reindex your website create account in Google webmaster if you don't have. Then create again new xml sitemap and submit in google webmaster.
Give a 301 redirection to the old pages if you removed the pages.
Do the social bookmarking.