How can we explain to under 40's what a forum is

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
What LeadCrow is saying is key. We have to understand the forum landscape has changed.

We used to talk about members vs visitors and we put effort into converting visitors to contributing members. Now, we have a very large segment of mobile users who may well be members but are almost entirely consumers, rather than contributors. While that segment is important for ad revenue on a monetized forum, they are insignificant when it comes to growing the content. Until the devices evolve to the point where mobile users can contribute meaningful content as easily as computer users, our efforts are best spent on attracting the latter.

3rdAngle

Participant
How can we explain to under 40's what a forum is

I am well under 40 but if you mean young crowd then your UI/UX should tell what your website is all about. Young folks don't need explanation, they see, feel and learn what it is.

That's the gap most Forum developers and old timer admins have not tried to bridge.

zappaDPJ

Until the devices evolve to the point where mobile users can contribute meaningful content as easily as computer users, our efforts are best spent on attracting the latter.

The problem with that is the majority of my forum members are mobile users, 94% in one case. I have to find a way of encouraging mobile users to contribute more because I don't see an alternative.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I am well under 40 but if you mean young crowd then your UI/UX should tell what your website is all about.
That isn't an age issue, just a usability one. It's always a good idea to get someone who doesn't know your forum to look at it, to help you with problems like that.

I have to find a way of encouraging mobile users to contribute more because I don't see an alternative.
That's another conundrum. It's a bit like communicating with chimps. Mobile devices effectively lower the communication ability of many users to the point where they use sign language rather than text.

KimmiKat

Fan
I don't how many I know saying "why you need that big thing for, I can do it on my phone." And last few visits to a big box store like Best Buy their computer section has really shrunk - replaced by more phone stuff and smart home stuff.

If we want the younger generation to contribute to forums in a meaningful way then we (the older generation) need to understand their method of communication.

In general under 40s do not use desktop computers to communicate outside of a work environment. They don't even own PCs. They use apps on phones and if we are lucky, tablets. Creating a workable solution which appeals to that mindset is the only way we will bridge the gap between the soon to be extinct PC user and the mobile app generation.

DigNap15

Habitué
That isn't an age issue, just a usability one. It's always a good idea to get someone who doesn't know your forum to look at it, to help you with problems like that.

That's another conundrum. It's a bit like communicating with chimps. Mobile devices effectively lower the communication ability of many users to the point where they use sign language rather than text.
Yes on Facebook etc it is easy to click on like.
But people often type a long text message to each other, which is the same as posting a long post on a forum.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Dont worry, desktop and laptop use will increase as people start to work from home over the next few months!!!

Agreed. When this pandemic is over, I believe many companies will see telecommuting has worked well for them, and understand it can save them money without compromising quality work. They might even discover employees are happier, and as a result, more productive. I expect to see many more companies, especially smaller companies, to continue to rely more on employees working from home with a laptop. Plus more reliance on third-party services as they find they do not need some of their work done in-house.

bomb

Aspirant
This is my concern too. And I took a giant leap of faith this month! I started a forum that targets people from age 18-35+. It is a Forum for students in tertiary institutions. And am really finding it hard to get them onboard.

Am considering giving incentives. So that they can atleast get to use the software and type something. Am hoping eventually some will like the interaction and will continue using it even without incentives.

What other forum products do you think may attract them, beside money incentives?

DigNap15

Habitué
bomb
yes that is the point of my OP
You have 3 problems
1 finding potential members, eg advertsising and publicity
2 Explaining to them what a forum is and how it could help them
3 Getting them to join.

Then if you tell them to join your forum they may say what is that? (due to your target audience age)
You should not need to give incentives.
You have to be able to convince them that you can help them with some of their day to day problems.
Exams, paying fees, problems with other students or teachers.

On Facebook etc they are public
On your forum, they will be private!
I have just started to realise that is the main difference.

bomb

Aspirant
bomb
yes that is the point of my OP
You have 3 problems
1 finding potential members, eg advertsising and publicity
2 Explaining to them what a forum is and how it could help them
3 Getting them to join.

Then if you tell them to join your forum they may say what is that? (due to your target audience age)
You should not need to give incentives.
You have to be able to convince them that you can help them with some of their day to day problems.
Exams, paying fees, problems with other students or teachers.

On Facebook etc they are public
On your forum, they will be private!
I have just started to realise that is the main difference.
You are right. But I did a small needs analysis and realized that school kids need money more than anything. Even if its little for buying snacks and data bundles.

Thus I thought, I can use some credit system to award them with points on quality posts. Then they can use the points to buy stuff within the forum. And later can be redeemed for cash, bundles or photocopying voucher.

It's a risky approach, but they need to see how the forum will take care of their immediate needs.

But my target is to get as many of thm as possible to know how to maneuver in a forum. Which button does what etc.

Also, since most of them stay in school for 4 years, I need to get freshmen every year earlier even before they join college.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Yes on Facebook etc it is easy to click on like.
But people often type a long text message to each other, which is the same as posting a long post on a forum.
This is one of those strange tradeoffs people do. They will spend the time to compose long text messages to avoid calling someone. They won't put in the same effort on a forum, however, because they don't have the same incentive. That's where we can make a difference, by building an inviting, friendly environment, and creating threads that make them want to respond.

forumowner

Aspirant
a lot of people under 40 use forums external to facebook

just not many that have sex

it's a pretty nerdy thing to be into under 30 years old

but if a company restricts its forums to only one site then you'll see more under 30 year olds, like a forum specific to one video game or whatever that the company has precedence over

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
I don't know if this will help—but it may make you feel so not alone!

I am considerably over 40, I started using and managing forums on CompuServe (the place where forums were named) that back in the mid-80s.

CompuServe, itself, didn't know how to explain forums to people (which is one of the reasons they sold to America Online). they could explain newsfeeds, and chat rooms (CB Simulator), and online airline reservations—but they never really groked forums.

I remember spending a lot of effort, with a lot of other knowledgeble folks, trying to explain to one of CompuServe's newly-hired (from pepsiCo, as i remember) marketing VP why forum were valueable—and being met with the online equivalent of a blank stare!

--don

mobi4u

Aspirant
I have a small trick to attract new members. Firstly, I make a topic that has an interesting content. Then i quote a piece of content (normally cutoff first 300-500 characters of topic) and post onto my social pages (facebook, twitter...). So people want to read whole topic must click onto the link i provided. Some topics you must register to read, some are not required.
This trick is ussually quite effective. You can attract more registered members with your quality topics!