How can social media help in education?

onemoretime

Neophyte
How can social media help in education?

I would consider that an oxymoron. Social Media is the biggest waste of human time ever invented. You can't learn about math, science or anything educational. It's nothing but a royal waste of time. This goes for all (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest). I prefer staying sites like Wikipedia.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I would consider that an oxymoron. Social Media is the biggest waste of human time ever invented. You can't learn about math, science or anything educational. It's nothing but a royal waste of time. This goes for all (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest). I prefer staying sites like Wikipedia.
I was with you right up to you citing Wikipedia . Use it as a starting point, possibly, but nothing more than that :)

I have a love/hate relationship with Social Media - it's great in that it gives you the ability to keep in touch with people, keep up to date with world happenings, etc but it's awful in that the way it makes people behave and act toward each other is just horrendous. It's like some huge social experiment that's been left to rot.

pierce

Habitué
WhatsApp groups are probably best.

That way it's real people in the same class. Less distractions too unless you have the annoying person. Or the needy one that can't lift their own hands.

It could just lead to pure spoon feeding. So the group has to be brutal and kick out the weak.

What's wrong with real life study groups?

Dee Johnson

Aspirant
I think generally using online networking will build proficient improvement opportunities, it will draw in understudies, and it can help understudies make certifiable associations between what they're realizing and future vocation ways.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Social Media is the biggest waste of human time ever invented.
The same was said of radio, television and comic books... yet all three have been successfully used in educational programs.

Learning is a social activity—any medium that allows two or more people to interact can be used for educational purpose.

There is a quite-active learning community on Google Plus. Look for information on "Heutagogy and Lifelong Learning," "Personal Learning Communities (or Circles)," or "Communities of Practice."

Zylantex

Adherent
Social networks have fantastic educational potential but I've yet to see this potential being realised. All I see are vacuous, unthinking hordes reposting the latest fad or utterances of so called celebrities. Either that or they are sharing personal details, that should best be kept private, with the whole internet. Let's not forget photographing each and every meal to show the world. The most depressing thing is people filming fights and accidents just to upload them and get likes. Whatever happened to stepping in to break up a fight or help an injured person? I despair for a whole generation.

pierce

Habitué
I don't think people should be open or honest in social media.

I think people should be educated on how other people use it to manipulate others. How photos are cropped and enhanced. How people only post the good stuff.

Only with the understanding that everybody else is potentially manipulating somebody else for likes, viral marketing or reverse marketing or brand influencing you for your attention, will users of social media critically question what they see.

Once they do that they can then be much happier.

Yes it's nice that everybody should hold hands and be awesome but that only increases gulability. Being critical (not negative) is a life skill not taught.

happysurf

Aspirant
pff... it is not a waste of time... always . it varies from person to person and how they use it. youtube for example is great way to educate and learn. i have taken help in GMAT maths and other question by asking different questions onm different platforms but yahoo answers help a lot

mausin12991

Aspirant
Social Media can be helpful in education if used in a right way. Schools, Colleges, and Education institutes can inspire their students to subscribe to their channel to learn more about any subject. They can upload videos, text or images with a different subject to their channel which can help the student to understand better, It's true that if not used properly, it can also waste time. But one should also look at the positives too.

ManovikasSociety

Neophyte
social media can make studying more collaborative and efficient with the Web.Tools like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram used to be almost exclusively used to take a break from academics, but social media is increasingly being leveraged as a study tool, especially for today's tech-savvy students

Julie Encabo

Participant
Social media can be an interesting tool for education to millennials nowadays. Learning management systems such as Moodle and Blackboard have become immensely popular in universities in recent years as a means to distribute lecture notes and other course information, as a portal for students to upload assignments and check them for plagiarism, and as a chat forum where students can communicate with their lecturers, and with each other. Both platforms allow for easy integration with social media services so that lecturers can push content automatically to apps like Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Eh, Moodle predates all the social media platforms. Predates most forum software too, as it started life in 1999.

c0ns

Aspirant
It depends on which social media we think of and what kind of education. Twitter, for example, can be a very good place for people to learn breaking news and share their opinion, which might be helpful for other users to have a better understanding of the current political situation. On the other hand, when it comes to the younger generations, I don't think it is helpful for them at all. Spending endless hours scrolling through the news feed of a certain social media website is just a waste of time and won`t contribute to the children`s educational development, just because they use it for following each other social life, sharing photos and so on. This is just a distraction that takes our minds off of the really important things in the world. :cautious: Overal, I think there are some advantages when using social media because of the connections it can give you with people from all over the world, which is a unique feature. But at the same time, it is a tool used to distract and popularize some dangerous activities and beliefs. Of course, there are some people that learn a lot from reading different materials that they find on the internet, but still, it depends on the type of education we are speaking about.

Optimistologist

Aspirant
If you are interested in studying human behaviour, then Facebook or Twitter or Instagram can be your laboratory.

Other than that, social media has nothing to teach you.

Though if your intention is to genuinely LEARN then there is an endless ocean of knowledge on Social media. You can though track extremely knowledgeable people on social media and stay updated about the world economy, climate change, scientific discoveries, engineering marvels, business breakthroughs, workout techniques, marketing tactics, cooking tips and get extremely intelligent/stupid commentary to understand the world of politics.

maulanajalal123

Neophyte
Join or like some education-related groups and pages in Fb
then you can get knowledge in different things by different nations of people

martin smith

Enthusiast
The use of social media in education helps students, teachers and parents to get more useful information, to connect with learning groups and other educational systems that make education convenient Social network tools afford students and institutions with multiple opportunities to improve learning methods.