Hosting: Web Hosting

.Chris

Adherent
.Chris submitted a new Article:

Hosting: Web Hosting

Types of webhosting

Introduction

This article is about the different types of hosting (the most common options) available on the market. Each section will have ‘Pros’ and ‘Cons’ and a section about hosting forums. I hope this article will help you make an informed choice.

Free Hosting

‘Free’ stuff is all the rage nowadays

Funnily enough, free hosts are out to make money some way or another. They may do this by encouraging you to sign up for their paid hosting plans or by putting adverts and popups on your site.

Free hosting is simple, you get hosting....for free. Unfortunately, the saying "You get what you pay for" comes into effect. Free hosting will come with drawbacks somehow, there is no such thing as ‘perfect’ ‘free’ hosting.
[RED]
Pros[/RED]

• It’s Free!
• Good for people new to web hosting
• Can provide some features of paid hosting

[RED]Cons
[/RED]
• Slow website speed - Free hosts will put as many websites on a server as they can to save money
• A Limit on bandwidth and/or space - You won't get enough space/bandwidth to host a popular website or forum.
• No or limited support - Most free hosts will give you your free webhosting then ignore you. Don't expect them to give up their time to help newbies with their first website.
• Adverts - More often than not, free hosts will stick dirty great banner ads on your site or bombard your visitors with popup.
• Limited Options - You can forget about fancy software like Cpanel, ensime and Fantastico.
• Nasty Small Print - Be careful, free hosts can catch you out with their TOS which may be in very small print. Such things as ‘MySQL databases are limited to 10MB’ and ‘Websites are limited to a maximum of 100 pages’

As you can see, there are a lot more ‘Cons’ than ‘Pros’

Free hosting and forums

Forums require several more features than websites. Your free host will need:

• PHP supported
• At least one MySQL database for your forum, Make sure that you can have at least a 5MB database.
• Some way to manage your database - PHPMyAdmin is a useful way to manage your database.

Hosting a forum on a free host can be a hassle; you have to find a host that has enough Database Space and Storage Space as well as PHP supported and 1 MySQL database. Therefore I don’t recommend using a free host for your forum.

Shared Hosting

Shared hosting is the most common type of hosting available, and...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

ManojAMK

Neophyte
This looks a great guide! I see no recommendation for inmotion hosting here. Should it be avoidable?

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Nice looking article = Thanks for the share.
Quick question = On who's recommendation is the "Recommended Hosts" list based on?

Jacquii.

Denzin

Aspirant
Since this thread has been bumped, I'd like to point out that it's outdated in some aspects as well as incorrect in others. Always do your research before paying attention to general threads like these.

This thread has a vast generalization of hosting and you should know that not everyone single host can be classified under these.

If permitted, I can post corrections within the week in this same thread.

Krisstoffer

Aspirant
hm, not so sure about the list suggestion but for VPS we use Linode and when a quick cloud is needed up and running rackspace is my personal choice