Hosting: Transfer full websites between cPanel hosts and in general

ToOnZ

Aspirant
ToOnZ submitted a new Article:

Hosting: Transfer full websites between cPanel hosts and in general

HOWTO : General steps to move an account between servers

Follow this guide at your own risk, im not responsible for any damages you incur !

Before you do any transfer, make sure to backup everything and not only leave the backup on the old server, but also download it to your computer to make sure its safe.

1. 2 days before the scheduled transfer, edit the DNS zone of the domain(s) at the old server to be transferred. Change the TTL to 900, and make sure to edit the serial number also to show that you had made changes to the DNS zone. Format of the serial number is example : [2004][03][12][02] . Of course there will not be brackets in the real value, but here i use them to show you the meaning of the value. First 4 digits represent the year (2004) , then the month (03) , then the day of the month (12) and lastly 02 represents the 2nd change that you have made to the DNS zone in this day only.

2. Carry out the transfer, which i wont explain how to do so in here, but you may look at the other threads for reference.
  3. After transfer, edit the DNS zone on the old server to point to the shared IP on which the account resides on the new server.
  4. Then edit the DNS zone on the new server to point to the old nameservers temporarily, or else the site will not work. Also, edit the TTL of the domain to change to 900 which stands for 15 mins.
  5. At the domain registrar, change the nameserver of the domain to point to the new nameservers your host provides.
  6. 24 hours later, you may edit the DNS zone on the new server to point to the new nameservers, and change the TTL back to the old value which i assume is 86400 .

From step 4 , all traffic should be going to the new server, just that it will go through the old one first. However, if you changed the settings at the domain registrar immediately, 24 to 48 hours later traffic should be going directly to the new server already. Make sure to leave all data at least 1 week on the old server and check to make sure everything is going well !

HOWTO : Transfer full websites between Cpanel hosts only

Please take note that I am in no way responsible for any damages to your data/system and follow at your own risk !

Firstly, logon to the Cpanel of the user you wish to transfer over. Go to
Backup >> Generate/Download a Full...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Anat

Enthusiast
In my experience, changing the nameservers two days before the transfer can be too soon. It usually takes a couple of hours for the domain to propagate for most users.

zero

Oh wow dude, I so needed this.

right on. I got to do this soon.

Libertate

Devotee
Isn't cpanel has build in transfer between two cpanel server?

You are correct.

Under backups(image below) you can select "Generate/Download a Full Backup".

Download the file to your computer. Remember where you stored it.

Upload the file under same Backup option through "Restore a Home Directory Backup" and selecting the downloaded file from your computer.

Change DNS.

Attachments

• backup.gif
    backup.gif
    696 bytes · Views: 79

turner23x

Neophyte
Hey guys, im moving my wordpress site from Hostgator to another webhost that has cpanel. I'm having some trouble doing it because it SQL and databases that i need to transfer and alter. any help would be appreciated

Chimpie

is making a plan
Hey guys, im moving my wordpress site from Hostgator to another webhost that has cpanel. I'm having some trouble doing it because it SQL and databases that i need to transfer and alter. any help would be appreciated

Does your new host offer free transfers?